1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tafkam: Theo says you know the answer to this! Change hours from 0.6 to 0.4 - Does this mean I need a new contract?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by hudskl, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I currently work 0.6 hours as the morning nursery teacher and my contract specifies the nursery and responsibilities associated with that role. From September I wish to change my hours to work full days.
    My headteacher has offered me 0.4 (2 full days) as PPA cover in Year 1 and Year 2 but mentioned that I would have to hand in my notice for the nursery position and then start a new contract in September.Is this normal? Will I get paid in the summer? Why can't my current permanent contract simply be changed?
    Also should I ask for something in writing? Otherwise if my headteacher changes her mind I will have missed the opportunity to look for a different post.
    Kind Regards
    Keri

2. Hello,
    I currently work 0.6 hours as the morning nursery teacher and my contract specifies the nursery and responsibilities associated with that role. From September I wish to change my hours to work full days.
    My headteacher has offered me 0.4 (2 full days) as PPA cover in Year 1 and Year 2 but mentioned that I would have to hand in my notice for the nursery position and then start a new contract in September.Is this normal? Will I get paid in the summer? Why can't my current permanent contract simply be changed?
    Also should I ask for something in writing? Otherwise if my headteacher changes her mind I will have missed the opportunity to look for a different post.
    Kind Regards
    Keri

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I think what your head teacher is implying is that you will negate your 0.6 role with resignation in order to take on the alternative 0.4 role. If you did not 'resign' from your 0.6 contract and merely took on the 0.4 role there is the risk on their part that you come back to demand more hours or object to the reduced contract I suppose. You should be paid for the summer on the 0.6 salary you have worked throughout the year, with the new 0.4 contract salary commencing when that role is taken on starting September.
    Any changes agree should, regardless, be confirmed in writing.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Ordinarily it wouldn't be necessary to hand in your notice, but that presumes that the nursery post is part of the main school funding pot. If not, then it may be that the two posts are not strictly part of the same establishment. In which case, you should follow usual rules - don't resign your old post until you have had a formal - written - offer for the new one.