1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by EAckerman, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dear Stephen

I am wondering if you would be able to give me a bit of advice...

I graduated from The University of Manchester three years ago with a 2:1 in English Literature and since then have been working in television, beginning initially as a runner, before being promoted to a researcher, and eventual associate producer. I am hoping to get myself onto a PGCE this year in order to teach secondary or sixth form students in either Media Studies or English Literature.
    After reading a number of websites I'm just a bit confused as to what my options are- which course is best? which bursaries are available (as I would be unable to fund this myself), is it a good idea to get a loan? etc etc.
    I've sent out some emails to local schools asking to gain some classroom experience but am yet to hear back.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated as I'm just embarking on this all and it seems a little daunting so far! Thanks very much in advance.

Very best

Lizzie

2. Dear Stephen

I am wondering if you would be able to give me a bit of advice...

I graduated from The University of Manchester three years ago with a 2:1 in English Literature and since then have been working in television, beginning initially as a runner, before being promoted to a researcher, and eventual associate producer. I am hoping to get myself onto a PGCE this year in order to teach secondary or sixth form students in either Media Studies or English Literature.
    After reading a number of websites I'm just a bit confused as to what my options are- which course is best? which bursaries are available (as I would be unable to fund this myself), is it a good idea to get a loan? etc etc.
    I've sent out some emails to local schools asking to gain some classroom experience but am yet to hear back.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated as I'm just embarking on this all and it seems a little daunting so far! Thanks very much in advance.

Very best

Lizzie

3. Hi Lizzie,
    It is great to hear that you have already started contacting local schools in order to arrange some classroom experience. It can be difficult for some schools to accommodate observation visits so please don't be put off if your initial requests are not successful. You might need to contact schools in a wider area. The following website contains contact information for schools:
    www.schoolswebdirectory.co.uk
    The PGCE course is university-based, with 18-24 weeks of school placements. Applicants with a 2:1 looking to teach English would receive a £5,000 non-taxed bursary, as well as financial support in the form of grants and loans. Applicants training to teach Media Studies would not receive a bursary but could still receive grants and loans. Maintenance grants and student loans are available through Student Finance England. Further information on accessing funding is available via the Directgov website:
    www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_194804#
    You could also consider the employment based route called the Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP). This route allows you to train whilst employed as a teacher, meaning you would receive a salary as you qualify. Further information about the GTP can be found on the following page of the Department for Education website:
    www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching
    I hope this information is useful and I wish you the very best with your future career.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA