1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ellis_j, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Hello Stephen,
    I am currently considering a career change into teaching, having already put in my application to join a Health and Social Care SCITT course (I have a Social Science degree).
    I have a few queries/concerns I'm hoping you can help with....
    1. I have worked in the private industry as a Senior Project Manager for c15 years. I have a very successful career with many buisness related qualifications (Management L4, Associate member of Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, PRINCE 2 Project Management practitioner...it goes on), and I have managed projects across many different business areas - HR, IT, Finance, Cust Service, Org Design, Marketing etc. I would love to think this experience could also be put to some use as a Business Studies teacher, would schools consider me for this subject based on experience rather than my degree subject and ITT course?
    I am also passionate about my ITT course subject, so would like to think I could do a bit of both. I'm conscious that my work experience doesn't relate to my ITT course, so I am also looking into some voluntary working opportunities in the health/care sector. I'm aiming to make my CV/experience as good as possible as I cannot afford to complete my training and be unemployed (family/mortgage etc); which brings me to my next query........
    2. I can't help but get drawn into the forums that stress how difficult it is to get a job following training, these comments are not just few and far between but the negativity seems to be littered across every forum and subject! Can you let me know what my chances of employment will be following training, in the subjects I refer to? Moving is not an option for me, I am North East based. I am a risk taker, but I also have to think about my family and our standard of life. I'd also be interested to understand if these vocational type subjects are here to stay, given e-bacc and potential future changes to the education sector.
    Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Hello Stephen,
    I am currently considering a career change into teaching, having already put in my application to join a Health and Social Care SCITT course (I have a Social Science degree).
    I have a few queries/concerns I'm hoping you can help with....
    1. I have worked in the private industry as a Senior Project Manager for c15 years. I have a very successful career with many buisness related qualifications (Management L4, Associate member of Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, PRINCE 2 Project Management practitioner...it goes on), and I have managed projects across many different business areas - HR, IT, Finance, Cust Service, Org Design, Marketing etc. I would love to think this experience could also be put to some use as a Business Studies teacher, would schools consider me for this subject based on experience rather than my degree subject and ITT course?
    I am also passionate about my ITT course subject, so would like to think I could do a bit of both. I'm conscious that my work experience doesn't relate to my ITT course, so I am also looking into some voluntary working opportunities in the health/care sector. I'm aiming to make my CV/experience as good as possible as I cannot afford to complete my training and be unemployed (family/mortgage etc); which brings me to my next query........
    2. I can't help but get drawn into the forums that stress how difficult it is to get a job following training, these comments are not just few and far between but the negativity seems to be littered across every forum and subject! Can you let me know what my chances of employment will be following training, in the subjects I refer to? Moving is not an option for me, I am North East based. I am a risk taker, but I also have to think about my family and our standard of life. I'd also be interested to understand if these vocational type subjects are here to stay, given e-bacc and potential future changes to the education sector.
    Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

3. Hi

I am happy to say that your suitability to train as a
    teacher of a particular subject is not necessarily dictated by your degree.
    Course providers will take all qualifications and experience into account, so
    you may be considered eligible to undertake a training course for business
    studies.

It is also worth bearing in mind that once you have gained
    Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) you would not need to undertake additional
    qualifications to teach a subject different to the one you trained for.

As far as employment prospects are concerned, there are a
    number of factors that need to be taken into consideration. Certain subjects
    such as Maths and Physics are regarded as priority areas of recruitment due to
    a shortage of teachers; however other subjects, including Business Studies and
    Health and Social Care, do not currently have a shortage of teachers.

Flexibility about location is also important, as you will
    increase the likelihood of finding employment considerably if you are willing
    to consider a wide range of areas. You can get an idea about employment
    prospects by checking your local authority website, or the Times Educational
    Supplement on Friday.

I wish you the very best with your ITT application, and hope
    that you go on to have an enjoyable teaching career.