1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by speedtouch987, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Dear Stephen,
    My daughter is very keen to become a primary school deputy/head teacher, however she would very much appreciate some advice on the best route to getting there.
    She is currently studying for her final year of A-Levels: History, English Literature and Religious Studies.
    (i) Are there any particular grades she needs to achieve?
    (ii) She is unsure whether she needs to study a substantive national curriculum subject (e.g. English, Maths, History etc) at university, or whether it would be sufficient to study 'Education'. Do you know the required route?
    Your advice will be gratefully received.
    Kind regards,
    Mike

2. Dear Stephen,
    My daughter is very keen to become a primary school deputy/head teacher, however she would very much appreciate some advice on the best route to getting there.
    She is currently studying for her final year of A-Levels: History, English Literature and Religious Studies.
    (i) Are there any particular grades she needs to achieve?
    (ii) She is unsure whether she needs to study a substantive national curriculum subject (e.g. English, Maths, History etc) at university, or whether it would be sufficient to study 'Education'. Do you know the required route?
    Your advice will be gratefully received.
    Kind regards,
    Mike

3. Slow down there....... She's 17/18 there is a whole load of time in between now and her becoming a Headteacher!
    Well the stumbling could well be at the start as primary teaching jobs are incredibly over subscribed (and she will have to be a teacher for a number of years before becoming a deputy or head). She would probably be better to do a subject based degree for the plain and simple reason that it gives her options if she can't break into teaching.

4. Thank you.

5. Hi Mike
    The requirements for head teachers are very different to those for those wishing to teach in classrooms. Classroom primary teachers will need GCSEs of C or above in maths, English and science, as well as a degree.
    To teach at primary level, the degree would not need to be in a specific subject, but the candidate would need to be able to demonstrate a general knowledge of the core curriculum subjects. A-levels do not form part of the qualification requirements.
    Head teachers do not need to obtain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) because their primary role would be focused more in management than in lesson organisation and pedagogy. Many head teachers come from business management backgrounds, as it is important to have skills in managing institutes and a large amount of employees.
    The following web pages may be useful:
    www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationDetail/Page1/DfES/0087/2004
    http://education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationDetail/Page1/DFES-0083-2004
    www.nationalcollege.org.uk/index/professional-development/npqh.htm
    I hope that this information will help, and I wish your daughter the very best in her future career.

Stephen Hillier, TDA