1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen,

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Janna5, Aug 5, 2011.

  1. I have been accepted on a 2011-2012 PGCE (MFL Secondary) and I'm really happy about it.
    Unfortunately I've just found out that I do not qualify for Student Finance's Grant as a home student due to my residency in the UK being less than 3 years. I am French and I came to the UK looking for work prior to going into teaching but I was fortunate to be accepted on the PGCE this year.
    I have permanently relocated here but I can't prove it. As a single parent I'm very worried.
    My question is: If I don't qualify for the Student Finance Grants do I still qualify for the MFL Secondary Bursary?
    And is it worth challenging SFE's decision? As I came here as a jobseeker and I think I've read somewhere that you can apply for Grants in that case.
    What do you advise me to do?
    Thank you.
  2. Hi
    Congratulations on being accepted on to the PGCE. MFL is currently a priority subject at secondary level and you will have excellent opportunities for career progression. In order to be eligible for funding from Student Finance, there are a number of criteria which you would need to meet. Browse the UKCISA and the Directgov websites for the relevant criteria:
    As you are from the EEA, depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for help with tuition fees only or additional help with living costs etc. As you have not yet been resident in the UK for three years, you may find that you are eligible for help with tuition fees but not the additional help. Why don't you contact the Student Finance Services European team Helpline on (+44) (0) 141 243 3570 for clarification?
    Trainees must have home or EU status in order to be eligible for TDA bursary funding. I would suggest that you contact the course provider with whom you are going to study to check your eligibility.
    I hope you enjoy the course and wish you a successful teaching career.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA
  3. Hi Stephen,
    when you say 'help with tuition fees' do you mean the loan?
    Thank you.

Share This Page