1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by SeeMisterC, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Stephen,
    I am a 29 year old male, currently a Police Officer, but I am seriously considering a career change into Education, and specifically Primary School teaching.
    I have a few concerns and was hoping you would be able to share your advice and experience with me.
    My main concern is the large financial hit that I would have to take to re-train as a teacher. I would be aiming to start a PGCE in 2012 but at present there does not seem to be a great deal of available information about course fees or loans available. Will fees for PGCEs rise to the £9000 mark for some institutions? Do you know if a loan or even a bursary would be available to someone in my position?
    I have 10 GCSEs at A-C, A levels in Business Studies, Media Studies, Computing and General Studies, and a 2:1 Honours Degree in Management and Business Administration. I have read that A levels and a degree in National Cirriculum subjects would be an advantage and I obviously don't have those. Would my A levels and degree subject be detrimental to my application?
    I have a great deal of relevant experience as a Police Officer. How much to institutions look at this when considering applicants?
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Nic Charlton

2. Stephen,
    I am a 29 year old male, currently a Police Officer, but I am seriously considering a career change into Education, and specifically Primary School teaching.
    I have a few concerns and was hoping you would be able to share your advice and experience with me.
    My main concern is the large financial hit that I would have to take to re-train as a teacher. I would be aiming to start a PGCE in 2012 but at present there does not seem to be a great deal of available information about course fees or loans available. Will fees for PGCEs rise to the £9000 mark for some institutions? Do you know if a loan or even a bursary would be available to someone in my position?
    I have 10 GCSEs at A-C, A levels in Business Studies, Media Studies, Computing and General Studies, and a 2:1 Honours Degree in Management and Business Administration. I have read that A levels and a degree in National Cirriculum subjects would be an advantage and I obviously don't have those. Would my A levels and degree subject be detrimental to my application?
    I have a great deal of relevant experience as a Police Officer. How much to institutions look at this when considering applicants?
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Nic Charlton

3. Hi Nic,
    I will be watching this post with interest as I am hoping to change career, from NHS, also. And, I am hoping to start a PGCE Sept 12. I am struggling to find anything about funding/bursaries and I dread to think that I would have to pay £9,000 for a PGCE.
    I hope to teach secondary science.
    But, with a mortgage to pay and 2 young children (both will be at school by Sept 12) I hope I am not unable to proceed due to the financial hit!

4. Yes it is very difficult and a big decision to make! Having to pay £9000 fees would make a big impact on that decision though. If it was all through a loan then at least it would not be too big a hit all at once, and at least it will not need to be paid back until we have a job.

5. Hi Nic
    We
    are still waiting for the course fees and financial assistance for courses
    beginning in 2012 to be confirmed, however they should be announced soon.

If
    some institutions choose to increase their course fees, there would still be
    financial assistance in the form of loans (as well as the likelihood of grants)
    that can be used to cover this cost. As soon as this information becomes
    available it will be published on the TDA and Department for Education
    websites.

The
    qualification requirements for initial teacher training (ITT) are GCSEs of C or
    above in English and Mathematics. If you wish to teach at Primary level you
    would also require a C or above in Science. In addition to these you would also
    need a bachelor’s degree. A-levels do not form part of the qualification
    requirements.

As
    you are interested in teaching at Primary level your degree would be expected
    to have some relevance to the core curriculum subjects of English, Science and
    Mathematics. As far as how the content of your degree relates to this
    expectation, it is quite broad. For example, a degree in Management and
    Business Administration is likely to consist of some modules that require
    mathematical knowledge, as well as involving plenty of written work that must
    be of a reasonable standard of English.

I
    would recommend looking at the content of the Primary syllabus as taught on the
    National Curriculum, and seeing how this relates to your previous studies and
    knowledge:

http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/

Your
    experience as a Police Office will certainly be taken into account when you
    apply for ITT. When you complete your application, and during the interview
    stage, you will have opportunities to show how this experience is relevant.
    There are many professions that contain transferable skills deemed valuable for
    entering the teaching profession, and the police force would be one of them.

In
    the meantime I would suggest gaining as much classroom experience as possible,
    as this is the best way to strengthen your application, especially for Primary
    school teaching.

I
    wish you the very best with your applications for courses beginning next year.

Stephen
    Hillier, TDA