1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - what is normal procedure?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by sherlock21, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Who normally shows prospective Headteacher candidates around the school when they come for an informal visit? Should the current Head show any interested candidates around in order to answer any questions they may have or should the Governors take on this responsibility?

2. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

I agree with RW. We always ensure that the outgoing Head does the tour. They are the best qualified to do so and we have always felt it is important to involve the head. After all most sill care passionately about the school and want the best possible replacement even though they are on their way to pastures new. Some LA's frown on any headteacher involvement in the process.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Which is their right, I suppose but governors also have the right to ignore them. I believe LAs don't know why they 'frown' on the head being in any way involved, but they JUST DO. The head is a professional and is the right person to show prospective successors round. I can't see the problem, frankly. I've done it twice.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't know why they do either, there's no reason why the outgoing HT shouldn't show candidates around. I suspect some LAs misunderstand the sensible advice that heads shouldn't be involved with selecting their successor and somehow think that showing candidates around the school is somehow part of the selection decision.

5. From what I've read, Headteacher involvement in the process varies depending on the LA. I am not sure of the reasons why some LAs appear to block the outgoing Head's involvement in the process either. Can anyone tell me why a staff governor cannot be voted onto an interview panel for the appointment of a new Headteacher? Thanks

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

LAs do not have the power to do anything at all with regard to the governors' decisions about process regarding the headteacher's appointment - some GBs just let them, however, believing that they have to do what the LA says. If the GB wants the head to host the look-round, nothing the LA says can stop them or have any power over them. And staff governors CAN take part in the interview process for a new head, including being on the full panel. Anyone telling you different is just wrong.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

They can, and on every headship panel I've been on over the years we've always had a staff governor. The only time they can't is if they have an interest in who is appointed as head that is greater than the interest of the staff in general, which tends to mean in practice that staff governors who are on SLT are probably barred from being on a selection panel.

8. Thank you all for the info. I have clearly been misinformed.

9. There are no specific rules as to who should show prospective candidates around the school. In many cases the outgoing headteacher will carry out the role, although sometimes the chair of governors may do it.
    Local authority maintained schools are covered by regulations - the School Staffing Regulations 2009 in relation to the process of appointing a new headteacher - academies are free to determine their own procedures. In LA maintained schools, the governing body must select a panel of at least three governors to conduct the recruitment process and it is this panel which shortlists and interviews applicants and if appropriate recommends a candidate to the full governing body for final approval.
    The National College of School Leaders and the NGA have a produced ‘a guide to recruiting and selecting a new headteacher' - http://www.nga.org.uk/Resources/Useful-Documents/A-Guide-to-Recruiting-and-Selecting-a-New-Headteac.aspx
    Stephen Adamson