1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen- Thinking about teaching

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by LyndsPat, Feb 17, 2012.

1. This is my first post so I hope I've done it correctly.
    I'm a 27 year old female and am currently thinking about changing careers to become a primary school teacher. I have an MA in History 2:1 and a Masters in Information Management. I currently work as an Archivist in the south of England. I am completely unfulfilled and uninspired by my job, and teaching is something I seriously considered when I first graduated from uni but lacked the confidence at the time to go for it. I have since realised that the teaching is the only thing I've ever truly wanted to do and the thought of it really excites me.
    I will be relocating this summer to the north east to live with my partner, and plan to find voluntary work in Primary schools, and look for a TA job to gain experience before applying for the PGCE for 2013. At the moment my experience working with children is limited, I worked in a museum for four years where I worked a lot with children and currently volunteer with the Girl Guides age group 7 -10. I would just like some opinions on what my chances of getting on to a PGCE are. I've been reading the TES forums for jobseekers and the current situation worries me, I'm not sure if I'm pursuing the impossible in wanting to train to be a teacher!
    Lyndsay