1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen teaching primary with a law degree

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by CMShipley, Feb 27, 2012.

1. CMShipley

CMShipley New commenter

Dear Stephen,

This year I will (hopefully) be graduating with a law degree, I'm currently on track for a 1:1. I want to teach at primary level but I'm not sure whether this is realistically possible as my degree does not directly relate to the curriculum?

I am hoping to take a year out before doing the PGCE to get more classroom experience and will be applying for teaching assistant jobs shortly.

Is it a realistic possibility that I stand a chance of getting onto the PGCE and get in to teaching despite my degree? I have plenty of experience working and volunteering with children but I don't know if I'm likely to fall at this first hurdle.

Thanks

2. CMShipley

CMShipley New commenter

Dear Stephen,

This year I will (hopefully) be graduating with a law degree, I'm currently on track for a 1:1. I want to teach at primary level but I'm not sure whether this is realistically possible as my degree does not directly relate to the curriculum?

I am hoping to take a year out before doing the PGCE to get more classroom experience and will be applying for teaching assistant jobs shortly.

Is it a realistic possibility that I stand a chance of getting onto the PGCE and get in to teaching despite my degree? I have plenty of experience working and volunteering with children but I don't know if I'm likely to fall at this first hurdle.

Thanks

3. Hi there :)

I am currently in my final year studying for a Law degree, on track to get a 2:1. The good news is that I have already been offered a place on my first choice PGCE primary provider. They love law students as our course is rigorously academic and an excellent basis for the MA credits you will be studying on the course. Its all about your experience and compatibility with the classroom and the profession in general! I would advise applying this year (through extra and clearing) as there are 9k bursaries available for primary teaching for trainees with a 1:1 and 5k for a 2:2. There is no guarantee this wil stay the same for next year. Good luck :)

4. Hi Initial teacher training (ITT) course providers for primary level tend to look for applicants who hold a degree that broadly relates to the three core curriculum subjects (maths, English and science).
    In addition to a suitable degree course, providers also look for applicants who have gained plenty of classroom experience.
    A law degree should be an acceptable qualification to gain a place on a primary teacher training course, however I would recommend discussing this further with the course provider(s) you are considering applying to.
    You can find information about the primary syllabus on the following page of the Department for Education's website:
    www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/primary
    I hope this information is useful to you, and I wish you the very best with the remainder of your degree.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA

5. Sorry, I meant 5k for a 2:1, no bursary for a 2:2