1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen, TDA bursary and restarting a PGCE.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by SchrodingersKittens, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Dear Stephen,

I started a PGCE in Secondary Maths in September and withdrew in February. Now I've had the time out of study and recharged (going straight out of uni and into teaching wasn't the best move for me - but a deferral wasn't possible) I'm looking to go back. The provider are happy for me to go back and reapply, but I need to know if I'll still be entitled to the usual bursary for maths trainees as I've already had one pop at the PGCE and will need to restart the course from the beginning. I'm informed my Student Finance that I'll be able to get the usual student loan as normal.

Thanks,
    Gavin

2. Dear Stephen,

I started a PGCE in Secondary Maths in September and withdrew in February. Now I've had the time out of study and recharged (going straight out of uni and into teaching wasn't the best move for me - but a deferral wasn't possible) I'm looking to go back. The provider are happy for me to go back and reapply, but I need to know if I'll still be entitled to the usual bursary for maths trainees as I've already had one pop at the PGCE and will need to restart the course from the beginning. I'm informed my Student Finance that I'll be able to get the usual student loan as normal.

Thanks,
    Gavin

3. Hi Gavin
    The decision regarding your entitlement to receive a bursary will be down to the university where you are completing your initial teacher training (ITT).
    In some cases a candidate that has received part of a bursary in the past would only be able to receive the remaining amount if they started their course again. This is usually when the university considers the applicant to have gained credits for previously completed modules, and is therefore potentially able to finish the course in a shorter space of time.
    If your university is willing to allow you to begin your course from scratch, they may decide to award you the full bursary, regardless of any previous financial support you have received. Please speak to the finance department at the university for more information about how much of the bursary you would be eligible for. They should be able to give you a clear indication prior to applying for the course.
    I hope that you do well on your maths PGCE, and I wish you the very best in your teaching career.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA