1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - suspension of parent govs.

Discussion in 'Governors' started by mrdavros, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Dear Stephen,
    I am a parent governor at a local secondry school who has recently been suspended after I raised the fact that another governor had previously stood in local and county elections on behalf of the BNP.

I thought it could become an issue as his name, and the fact he stood for the bnp, are available publicly online. Our school is a multicultural school with a number of ethnic students and teachers who would feel strongly about this.

The other governors sent some emails which accused me of backstabbing, McCarthyism and said I was a devisive element who needs to be removed. I thought it was a valid concern which needed to be addressed. However, the chair, put a proposal on the agenda for the last meeting to suspend me, which they did.

The reasons given were that I had, or was likely to bring, the governing body into disrepute.

Is there any statutory guidance for suspension or anything I can do to contest her claims, I dont think bringing this to governors attention qualifies as bringing the gb into disrepute, quite the opposite in fact. I think that having him there was more likely to bring the school down.

any advise or help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Welcome to TES, mrdavros.

3. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

I share your feelings and view. Was it raised under Part B ? in that case it would not have been put in the public arena. I'm not too proficient in governor regulations, but know there are some extremely knowledge forum users who will be able to give more informed advice.

4. Thanks harsh-but-fair

5. Keepthespirit. It was raised as a regular item, under part a.

6. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

As I said there are people on the forum far more knowledgeable than I am. However, I think that was a mistake as it puts concern about an individual ( however justified it may be ) available for public scrutiny. If an item for GB then should have been Part B. Sorry

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I know nothing about Governors' regs but wonder whether there is any possible mileage under the protection of whistle-blowing legislation. I hesitate because, obviously, the parent governor is not an employee of the school.

It would do no harm to give the organisation with expertise on whistle-blowing, Public Concern at Work, a ring on their free and confidential helpline.

www.pcaw.org.uk

8. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Does your governing body have a code of conduct? You may be interested to read the governors' handbook, issued only two months ago, and available at www.gov.uk/.../Governors_Handbook_May_2014_FINAL.pdf.

Additionally, you could ask the DfE or the NGA for advice.

9. Please note that even if you are suspended you are still a gov.

You should still receive all paperwork including that relating to the meeting where you were suspended.

Your clerk should know this.

Removing a PG elected by the parents is legally next to impossible unless you have clearly breached the code of conduct.

If you are faced with a situation like this in the future ring governorline

Telephone: 0800 072 2181

10. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

Mrdavros, my first question would be to ask whether you were even suspended lawfully as most GB's & LA's who are advising make a mess of it? Most GB's fumble their way around it and as it is very easy to suspend parent governors who are elected and there is no appeal process and it can be the law of the jungle and you have little recourse to any kind of justice.

As it may be difficult to explain details on an open forum and for me to advise further, may I suggest you email cate.doyle@ gmx.com

Clearly from what you say it would be of interest to any governing body to know especially in a multicultural school whether members or even potential governors were members of organisations that may have questionable backgrounds.

11. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

One has to comment that the BNP do seem to stand on a platform that breaches the Race Relations Act even though they may refute this. The values and ethos of public service are directly opposite to some views of BNP members.

There is therefore an inescapable logic of how can people who hold BNP views hold a public service position like being a member of a school governing body without compromising the school, especially one that is multicultural?