1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen, Staff governors on FGB

Discussion in 'Governors' started by samtheman, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Are there any recommendations or guidelines for the composition of an FGB regarding staff members and their positions within the school?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No. There's laws regarding how many staff governors but who the individuals are is up to the staff . Staff governor is an elected position, it wouldn't be appropriate for someone else (the DFE? the LA?) to tell the staff who they should elect.

3. I just wondered whether there had to be a mixture of Teaching and Non - teaching or Snior Management or what.

Thank you for the response

4. Rott Weiler

No, not any more. There used to be a requirement under under the 2007 Constitution Regulations that the first SG had to be a teacher and the next support staff member and so on but that changed from 2012. Now SGs can be anyone working in the school under a contract of employment

5. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

In the rare event that you are tied for votes, the winner is usually the staff member who has been with the school the longest.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Really? That's news to me.

7. Rott Weiler

I'm surprised at that as well. The election procedures used for SG (and Parent Governor) elections should specify what happens if there is a tie. The ones I've seen follow the procedures that would be followed if there was a tie in council elections, by drawing lots in some way. Tossing a coin is used in my LA's procedures. I've not come across the longest serving staff member getting the place. Presumably montiagh's school uses it but I don't believe that is usual.

8. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

It's was LA advice. Similar advice is given to PG's tying - in that the parent of the youngest child in school is chosen. However, there are lots of solutions as RW says and it's up to schools to decide their procedures.

9. If you are a local authority maintained school then there are constitution regulations which apply to the school (these are either 2007 or 2012 – the 2012 regulations apply to schools which have revised their constitutions since September 2012). The majority of schools are still likely to be constituted under the 2007 regulations which stipulate that if there is only one staff governor that will be the headteacher, if there are only two then as well as the headteacher the other must be a teacher (unless no teacher stands for election), if there are three or more then (as well as the headteacher and a teacher) at least one should be a member of the non-teaching staff. The 2012 regulations separate out headteachers from staff governors. In these regulations there is only one elected staff governor and that person must be employed to work at the school.

Other than those broad regulations every member of staff (teaching or non-teaching) is entitled to stand for election – the governing body cannot restrict who stands. It is helpful to have set procedures for carrying out the nomination and election so that all members of staff are clear about who is eligible and how the process will be carried out. As with any governor vacancy it is good practice to include information about what the role of a governor entails.

Regulations set out which discussions/decisions staff governors should be excluded from – which in reality are not that extensive. There are also generic conflict of interest provisions, which apply to all governors, which may be applied to a staff governor in a specific role in the school if a discussion of that issue came up.

Academies are governed by their articles of association and not all academies have staff governors.

Stephen Adamson