1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - Staff Governor on interview panel

Discussion in 'Governors' started by salb78, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Good evening, I am a staff governor at my school and have been asked to sit on the panel for Head of Art interviews. Our Headteacher is away the next two days and the interviews are Friday morning. Obviously each school is different but as a rule would I be expected to ask questions or keep quiet? Any pointers or general advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

2. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

You are first and foremost a governor which has equal status to any other category of governor including your headteacher. The simple thing for any governor to remember is to drop the thought of what their category is which is generally irrelevant. You have an equal right to be on the panel for the interviews and you should play an equal part in asking questions.

Panels have usually decided on the questions prior to interview so that each candidate is asked the same questions bar teasing out what you may additionally want to know. We usually share the prepared questions out between panel Someone will chair the panel to ensure matters run smoothly.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Montiagh is spot on, you are there as a governor and you ask questions and take a full part in the decision making the same as any other governor. It's good to hear your school puts staff governors on interview panel as too many governing bodies have arbitrary rules 'banning' staff governors from interview panels. That is entirely wrong in my view, unless you have a direct interest in the appointment, eg the person would be your line manager.

All panels I am on meet beforehand to agree the questions and who will ask them. At my school the panel for an appointment at this level would be chaired by the head and the head would draw up a draft list of questions for the panel to discuss immediately before the interviews. The candidates for an appointment at HoD level are likely to have been in school prior to the actual interviews doing various selection tasks - being observed teaching etc.

Make sure that the adminsitrator for this - school HR person or whoever - gets the papers out to you (the candidates' aaplication forms) asap so that you have time to read them before the panel pre-meeting, identify any candidate-specific issues you would like to follow up, to raise at pre-meeting.