1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen, Should I wait to apply?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by smb81, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Dear Stephen,
    I am looking to apply for a Secondary Geogrpahy PGCE to ideally start in 2012. I graduated in Goegraphy from Cambridge University 2 years ago and have been working in not for profit organisations since then. Although I have experience in both primary and secondary education it has all been either abroad or within private schools (I worked for 3 months in South Africa, and have coached hockey extensively in the UK as well as working within a private secondary school in the admin team for 7 months whilst doing periods of observation). My current role also involves training current university students about interview techniques and liaising with local schools and pupils in a variety of forms. I am currently trying to organise some observation with a secondary state school but my current job (not related to teaching) has quite restrictive holidays so this will not be possible until february. Should I wait until after this experience to fill in my application or should I do it before and merely signal that I have got it oranised for the future?
    Essentially I guess I am asking is it better to put in an early application with less experience or a later one with more?
    Many Thanks,
    Sarah

2. Dear Stephen,
    I am looking to apply for a Secondary Geogrpahy PGCE to ideally start in 2012. I graduated in Goegraphy from Cambridge University 2 years ago and have been working in not for profit organisations since then. Although I have experience in both primary and secondary education it has all been either abroad or within private schools (I worked for 3 months in South Africa, and have coached hockey extensively in the UK as well as working within a private secondary school in the admin team for 7 months whilst doing periods of observation). My current role also involves training current university students about interview techniques and liaising with local schools and pupils in a variety of forms. I am currently trying to organise some observation with a secondary state school but my current job (not related to teaching) has quite restrictive holidays so this will not be possible until february. Should I wait until after this experience to fill in my application or should I do it before and merely signal that I have got it oranised for the future?
    Essentially I guess I am asking is it better to put in an early application with less experience or a later one with more?
    Many Thanks,
    Sarah

3. You
    may like to contact individual training providers to find out if and how much
    classroom time they require before you apply or whether you can apply and gain
    experience whilst your application is being considered. Also, if you have
    experience in geography classes in private school(s), you can discuss with
    providers whether it would be relevant to include in your application.

I
    wish you every success in your future teaching career