1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - should I resign as a governor if I wish to apply for a post at my school?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Blencarn1, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Blencarn1

Blencarn1 New commenter

I am a Foundation Governor at my local school. As it is a small village school I am related to one of the other governors and know most of the other governors very well. I am also in the final weeks of my PGCE.
    I am aware that a teacher vacancy is likely to be advertised at the school soon and I am interested in applying.
    I realise the fact that I am a governor complicates matter.
    Can I apply as I would not be in the same position as other applicants?
    If I do wish to apply is it enough to just resign as a governor before applying?
    I would be grateful for advice. Thanks.

2. As you will know, foundation governors are appointed by the foundation body and subject to the governor disqualification regulations it is a matter for that body who to appoint. There is nothing in the regulations which requires you to resign before applying for a post, or indeed if you applied and were successful. In many ways you already have the ‘advantage' because as a governor you are likely to know more about the school than other prospective candidates and resigning as a governor will not change that. You could resign before applying, or alternatively make clear that if you were to be successful you would resign. You should as a matter of courtesy inform the body which appointed you as a governor, as your circumstances will have changed and it may not have appointed you as a member of staff.
    Stephen Adamson