1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen: Should he go or should he wait.

Discussion in 'Governors' started by thaumaturgy, May 10, 2013.

1. We have a community governor at present who looks like he may be facing a criminal conviction of three months or more which may or may not be suspended. The offence has no connection to safeguarding but is related to fraud.
    Should he resign or should he wait to see what happens in court, or should the school governing body take some action prior?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Is he pleading guilty? If not surely the normal principle of 'innocent until found gulity' should apply?

3. Guilty as the evidence is watertight.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Call me old-fashioned, but I think you should stick to the convention that he's not guilty until the court says so. If you are right and if he gets a sentence of 3 months or more (even if a suspended sentence) you won't have to do anything to remove him as he will automatically cease to be a governor from date of sentencing. The governor may feel he ought to resign now, that's up to him, but I don't think you should take steps to remove him.

5. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

Many thanks R W that was pretty well along the lines I was thinking of, which is wait and see.

6. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

I am so glad there are some governors around who not only believe in justice but who also use their common sense
    [​IMG]
    Why would any (reasonable) governor feel it appropiate to judge (and pass sentence on) a fellow governor before a court does? The governor in question may well be guilty but s/he is entitled to a fair trial before being judged guilty by fellow governors.
    The reputation of the school is important. But it is not the reputation of the school that is on trial. And by most reasonable people's standards the reputation of a school is dertemined by the fairness of the people responsible for running it.

7. It is entirely a matter for the governor to decide whether he feels he ought to resign. The regulations are clear, if the individual is found guilty of a criminal offence and receives a sentence of not less than 3 months imprisonment (suspended or not) s/he is automatically disqualified as a governor. The governing body need not do anything. It is for the court to decide whether the individual is guilty or innocent and if the former, impose the appropriate sentence – I do not recommend that the governing body preempt the court’s decision.

Stephen