1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - relationship between CoG and SIO

Discussion in 'Governors' started by g_dragon, Mar 30, 2012.

1. I would like some advice on the relationship that should exist between a CoG and the school's SIO. I have always got on very well with our SIO and found her advice to be invaluable when we recently recruited a new HT. However, I recently has a conversation with her where I made sure that I could talk to her about something in confidence. I wanted to get advice from her about behaviour concerns that I have about the HT. I also recently received a phone call from a teacher who believes they are being bullied by the HT, but who is not ready to make a formal complaint. Despite assuring me that I could speak in total confidence, the SIO has now told the HT about my conversation. To make matters worse, the HT has now told the staff that she is aware that one of them has spoken to the CoG.
    I am astounded at the breach of confidence by the SIO - she felt she had a duty to inform the HT (but not to warn me first apparently). Has she acted improperly, and should I be thinking about whether to request a different SIO? Is she there as a source of advice for me or the HT alone? The appalling people management skills of the HT is another matter - I can deal with that but want to be clear about the SIO's position.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

What's an SIO?

3. Scool Improvement Officer

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I think most of us call them SIPs

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not sure that's who this is, harshy - SIOs are usually (in my experience) LA advisers who have a portfolio of schools to oversee. They don't have the same function as the SIP at all.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I stand corrected. [​IMG]

7. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

They are also called SEO (School Effect Officers).

I had the exact same problem with ours who is not now ours which answers what to do. However, it cannot solve the damage that has been done. I would also make a formal complaint to the director of your LA children's services.

8. As well as this the member of staff is out of order phoning the CoG about such an issue and the CoG is out of order in listening. The school should have a complaints procedure which must be followed. otherwise lies chaos and trouble.
    Equally, who in their right minds would trust an LA employed Imrovement Officer!?! Their loyalty is to the LA not the school or anyone else.
    Big mistakes alround.