1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen: Questions about PGCE MFL and Bursary

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Wmina, Dec 12, 2011.

1. So I am thinking about doing a PGCE Modern Foreign Languages for Secondary school.
    I am currently wrapping up my BA German Literature and Linguistics with English Literature and Linguistics as a minor (2 Subject BA)
    I am German but want to move to England.

First question. My main focus would obviously be on German, but how much do I need to know in my second language if I want one. The information on the course provider sides confuse me a bit.
    What level do you think I need to reach in the second language to make a degree in two languages feasable - I am working on my Spanish skills - will be Unicert I ('B1 threshold ) qualified by February.
    Which isn't that much, and I still feel uncomfortably dilettante in comparison to my English skills.
    Would it make sense to try for a course in German and Spanish? Are there possibilities to work on your skills during that year?

Would it make sense to do just German?
    How are my chances depending on what I do

How does the new bursary scheme work, and would I even be eligible as a German (EU) citizen?

2. So I am thinking about doing a PGCE Modern Foreign Languages for Secondary school.
    I am currently wrapping up my BA German Literature and Linguistics with English Literature and Linguistics as a minor (2 Subject BA)
    I am German but want to move to England.

First question. My main focus would obviously be on German, but how much do I need to know in my second language if I want one. The information on the course provider sides confuse me a bit.
    What level do you think I need to reach in the second language to make a degree in two languages feasable - I am working on my Spanish skills - will be Unicert I ('B1 threshold ) qualified by February.
    Which isn't that much, and I still feel uncomfortably dilettante in comparison to my English skills.
    Would it make sense to try for a course in German and Spanish? Are there possibilities to work on your skills during that year?

Would it make sense to do just German?
    How are my chances depending on what I do

How does the new bursary scheme work, and would I even be eligible as a German (EU) citizen?

3. Hi

It is excellent that you are thinking of teaching modern
    foreign languages (MFL) at secondary level. The introduction of the new English
    Baccalaureate means that MFL teachers are in demand and we are keen to
    encourage applications from single linguists as well as dual linguists. Because
    of this need, there are likely to be more job opportunities and possibilities
    for career progression.

Each course provider is responsible for assessing your
    knowledge of the subject you would like to teach. As well as looking at the
    information on their websites, contact them individually. There are subject
    knowledge enhancement courses which they could refer you to should they think
    it necessary.

As an EU citizen, you may be eligible to apply
    for a bursary. For the academic year of 2012 to 2013, bursaries are dependent
    on the bachelor’s degree grade which you achieved as well as the subject which
    you wish to teach. If you gained your qualifications in Germany, you
    would first need to compare them with the English equivalents through NARIC (www.naric.org.uk).

www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/training-in-england/postgraduate-funding.aspx).

Good luck with your application.