1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen , Purpose of Govs visits to classes

Discussion in 'Governors' started by samtheman, May 5, 2012.

1. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I am a Teacher Governor at a school that has just had an Ofsted. At a recent FGB the HT directed the Govs that they needed to be dropping into classes more frequently and unnanounced to see what is going on. Fair point. Then he went on to say that the Govs needed to be asking to see children's books. Then finally he stated he wanted the Govs to report back to him if he felt there were inadequacies , problems, etc . Is this part of a Gov's remit? I always felt there was no judgement to be made by Govs on visiting classes.
    </td></tr></table>

2. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I am a Teacher Governor at a school that has just had an Ofsted. At a recent FGB the HT directed the Govs that they needed to be dropping into classes more frequently and unnanounced to see what is going on. Fair point. Then he went on to say that the Govs needed to be asking to see children's books. Then finally he stated he wanted the Govs to report back to him if he felt there were inadequacies , problems, etc . Is this part of a Gov's remit? I always felt there was no judgement to be made by Govs on visiting classes.
    </td></tr></table>

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

The main purpose is to see if teachers are repeating themselves ...[​IMG]

4. Not sure what you mean?!

5. staxis

staxis New commenter

It is not acceptable for governors to rate lessons or report on inadequacies - it is the Head's job to report to this to governors. However, governor visits to lessons are vital to understanding the school.
    If a governor on my GB tried to rate lessons they would be explaining themselves to the chair (me) and/or the Head.

6. It is important for governors to visit the school so that they understand context and get a good feel for the place, but it does sound as though the headteacher has misunderstood the role of governors. Governors are not inspectors and apart from staff governors, many are not teachers and, therefore, lacking the professional expertise to judge lessons. The headteacher is in day to day control of the school and governors do not have automatic right to just wander unannounced onto and around school premises. Governors do need to have information about pupil progress and in some schools, as well as reports from the headteacher, governors receive anonymised samples of work to show where pupils were at the beginning of the year and where they are now. It is good practice for governors to fill out visit reports, but this should not be about the quality of teaching.
    Stephen Adamson