1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen please could you answer my question

Discussion in 'Governors' started by mystery10, Jun 5, 2012.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Dear Stephen
    Is there anything which limits the number of children that can be educated in one class in a specific room in a school?
    I'm not asking about the KS1 class size legislation of 30 per teacher (with some exceptions) as I'm well versed in that.
    I'm asking about whether a room in a school can be too small for a particular number of children, and if there is anything which determines this? e.g. fire regulations, DfE regulations, building regulations etc etc

2. mystery10

Dear Stephen
    Is there anything which limits the number of children that can be educated in one class in a specific room in a school?
    I'm not asking about the KS1 class size legislation of 30 per teacher (with some exceptions) as I'm well versed in that.
    I'm asking about whether a room in a school can be too small for a particular number of children, and if there is anything which determines this? e.g. fire regulations, DfE regulations, building regulations etc etc

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

The answer is no.

4. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

Curlygirl is correct . . .I'd just add that this isn't a Governance issue

5. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

Apologies - I meant the chasing and following of legislation, obviously H&S is a matter of Governance. If the OP had been asking about the principles of over crowding rather than seeking a factual answer about legislation I wouldn't have commented

6. mystery10

Cor you are picky! Any answer which gives me a few clues will do. It can't be a completely "open chequebook" area. I can understand that the "average" governor will rely on the clerk for this kind of stuff if they need it, who in turn, if they pay for it, relies on LA governors' service and the legal services of the LA. But some GBs do it all themselves. And I was asking Stephen!!

7. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

Hence the word 'apologies' in my last post!

8. Hi
    Stephen has replied on your other thread.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/578542/7541380.aspx