1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - Ordinary BA but I have an MA (and fees)

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by YPZ, Aug 21, 2011.

  1. YPZ





    /* Style Definitions */
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";

    Dear Stephen,

    I am hoping to apply for a GTP position (school is still deciding) and
    probably some PGCE courses as well to start in 2012 (although the lack of
    income may mean this is impossible).

    Many of the courses require at least a 2:2 degree as a prerequisite. My BA
    is not an honours degree but I do have an MA in an education related field. Is
    it likely that my application will not be looked at because of my undergraduate
    degree or will my MA help?

    Also, I am confused about the fees situation for PGCE places starting in
    2012. For the purposes of fees are PGCEs classed as undergraduate courses? If
    so, when you then look at bursaries from the universities they say that they
    are only for people who have not done previous degrees which PGCE students will
    have to have done! Does this mean that as a potential PGCE student I would have
    to pay full fees and would get no bursary? (I am co-habiting and I can’t find
    out where this fits in terms of “household salary”).

    Thank you for your time.
  2. YPZ


    Sorry about all that code at the top - I have now spotted the "Paste as Plain Text" button.
  3. Hi
    The decision to accept applicants with particular levels of degrees will be down to the individual training providers. It is certainly possible to be accepted onto a course with a degree without honours, and your Master’s qualification will be taken into consideration when you apply.
    From 2012 anyone undertaking a PGCE would need to have a 2:2 or above to receive funding from the Department for Education. For this reason you may find that the GTP would be the better option for you.
    The PGCE is a postgraduate course, so the funding would not be affected by having undertaken an undergraduate course. If you were eligible for a bursary, the only reason you wouldn’t receive all or part of it would be due to having completed all or part of a PGCE in the past.
    As mentioned above, due to your degree classification you would not receive financial assistance on a PGCE course starting in 2012, however you would still be able to undertake one if you are able to fund it yourself.
    I appreciate that this isn’t always financially viable, so I would certainly consider focusing on applying to do the GTP. I wish you the very best in your application, and hope that you go on to enjoy your career in teaching.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA

Share This Page