1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - How can a business 'reach' governers?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by edu-eye, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Dear Stephen,
    I'm currently working as a mentor for a young entrepreneur who has developed an innovative product for secondary schools. I was talking to a friend last night who suggested that, in addition to contacting teachers and Heads, speaking to school governers about his product may also be invaluable.
    As a business, rather than a parent who would have these details via the school (as I did), how would he indentify who a school's governers are and make contact with them? Indeed would it (contact from a private sector business) be something they would likely to be receptive to or would his contact be deemed inappropriate?
    Many thanks...Helen [​IMG]

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Governors are rsponsible for strategy not for product purchasing of the sort you describe. As a Chair of Governors myself stuff like this sent to me either goes straight in the recycling bin (if it looks like junk mail) or I pass it the Head. I think you'd be wasting your time and money sending it to governors.

3. Thank you, I appreciate your honesty. I guess my wider thinking - without giving too much away! - is that the 'product' prompts more of a strategy change (ex-curriculum so no conflict with national perspectives), so may be of interest, but again I appreciate the insight into their role too. [​IMG]

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Governors' contact details should be freely available. Contact the Clerk to the Governors c/o the school, but as Rott says, I wouldn't hold my breath over responses.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Which is fine if you only want to know for a handful of schools but quite time-consuming if the OP wants to personally email the Chairs of governors at all 24,000 schools!
    Commercial organisations that want to mail governors usually settle for addressing it to 'The Chair of Governors' and download the school addresses from EduBase.

6. The usual method of contacting governors would be via the school. In some cases, the governors will have dedicated school email addresses which can be found via the school's website, but with over 20,000 schools this would be very time consuming. Alternatively you could write to the chair of governors at the school's address. There is no central database of every school governor in the country.
    In general, I would expect the staff within the school to alert governors to products they think may be useful and the governing body or committee responsible for expenditure will consider whether the product should be purchased. You may also wish to consider contacting the National Association of School Business Managers (NASBM).
    Stephen Adamson