1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - GTP or School Based ITT?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Muttley_in_the_Midlands, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

Before Christmas I had a provisional place for GTP at university but in early January the course was cut. I hurriedly applied to 3 other GTP providers and am waiting to hear from them. Because I applied so late I am not very hopeful though despite having secured a place at a great uni before. I also have a placement secured at one of the best state schools in the country which is in my home town and all fits perfectly.
    I am now wondering whether I should apply to other routes. The only realistic one is school based ITT. It means a year with no salary, and paying the tuition fees myself, travel to school over 30 minutes away and having to pay for before and after school childcare (£10 to £15 per day!). I have investigated help with costs etc and I will get nothing other than loans due to some other income I have. The school based course is PRofessional Graduate CE rather than post-grad too and the schools are in no way as good as the one I am in currently.
    Is it worth applying anyway? Once I have QTS is there any snobbery in getting a professional qualification rather than a post-grad? (I have a Masters in my subject anyway.)
    It will take a long time to pay back the loans. Is it better to wait a year and apply for GTP again in a year's time if I don't get a place this year?
    Any opinions gratefully recived

2. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

I'd still gratefully receive any replies!
    My biggest question is whether there is a disadvantage in doing a professional rather than a postgrad PGCE