1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - Governing Body out, Local Advisory Board in

Discussion in 'Governors' started by dc521, Mar 4, 2013.

1. dc521

dc521 New commenter

I don't want to go into specifics but as this information has been released into the public domain, I was wondering if you could offer advice / hints as what would happen next.
    My school's governing body has been replaced with a Local Advisory Board (LAB). The information shared with parents indicates that there are long term issues with progress in the school. This was indentified in an Ofsted report as well. The board has members of the previous GB on it and a co-opted person with an education background. However, there is no staff representation other than the Head (in the role of an attending person to share information etc).
    These are my areas of concern:
    How long can such a board exist for?
    Would Terms of Reference (I also know them as articles of Governance for a school) carry over to the LAB?
    Should there be staff representation?
    Are there any legal differences to a GB compared to a LAB I need to be aware of?
    Any hints, comments or advice gratefully received.

2. dc521

dc521 New commenter

I don't want to go into specifics but as this information has been released into the public domain, I was wondering if you could offer advice / hints as what would happen next.
    My school's governing body has been replaced with a Local Advisory Board (LAB). The information shared with parents indicates that there are long term issues with progress in the school. This was indentified in an Ofsted report as well. The board has members of the previous GB on it and a co-opted person with an education background. However, there is no staff representation other than the Head (in the role of an attending person to share information etc).
    These are my areas of concern:
    How long can such a board exist for?
    Would Terms of Reference (I also know them as articles of Governance for a school) carry over to the LAB?
    Should there be staff representation?
    Are there any legal differences to a GB compared to a LAB I need to be aware of?
    Any hints, comments or advice gratefully received.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't think anyone here can answer that without knowing what your LA means by a Local Advisory Board (LAB). That isn't a statutory body. The GB can be replaced by an Interim Executive Borad [IEB] and then the GB has ceased to exist for as long as the IEB is there. But an LAB? Sorry, I don't know what it is.

4. dc521

dc521 New commenter

From what I have here, it would be regarded as an IEB but it is being called an IAB in this context.

5. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

Whatever the name suggested is, it will be an IEB - Interim Executive Board, made up of at least three members. This specially selected team are supposed to be a crack A team to turn your school around in pronto time. The LA are the sole power in deciding the members of the IEB, (in exceptional circumstances the dfe could insert their own choice of chair).

It is expected that an IEB will get a school out of SM in 12-18 months. Some IEB's have taken 3-4 years and one would then question if they need replacing. LA's do not normally choose to have staff members on an IEB and it would be very unusual if they did as some pretty hard decisions may need to be made which may include staff exits. The IEB can be a law unto themselves. At some point when its looks like your school will return to better times the IEB will be disbanded and a Shadow Governing Body (SGB) will be arranged for school or direct to a formal GB. It is normal that some of the IEB members for continuity will continue on with whatever the future governance arrangements are.

6. Rott Weiler

In addition to what montiagh says, the Instrument of Government of the old governing body does not carry over to an IEB and the Procedures and Constitution Regulations do not apply to IEBs.
    You say these are areas of concern, what is that concerns you?
    Are you/were you a governor?
    Your LAs choice of terminology is odd and still leaves me with a lingering doubt about what they have set up. The whole point of an IEB is the stress on it being "executive", so it seems odd to rename it as an "advisory" body. To me that's not the same thing at all, an executive body 'does', and advisory body 'advises'. Who is it supposed to be advising? Does the LA notice setting it up specifically refer to the LA using its statutory intervention powers for schools causing concern? Or refer to s65 of the Education and Inspections Act 2006 (the legal basis for establishing an IEB)? Or that it's been approved by the Secretary of State for Education (which an IEB has to be)?
    If none of those things are mentioned you might want to ask your LA to confirm that the LAB is legally an Interim Executive Board.

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Yes the OP has also swapped between LAB and IAB - very confusing. Terminology here is key.
    If the school is providing a bad education why would a load of current staff be wanted on the turn around vehicle ... indeed one might question the head and old GB members being on there unless they were brought in recently as part of a new broom approach - this LAB does rather sound like a softly softly approach rather than the quick turn round by the A team that is intended?

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

OK - just reread and the head isn't really a member of the team - just there to pass info back in some way. Take back some of what I said.

9. dc521

dc521 New commenter

Thanks for the replies, some clarification needed.
    I should have typed LAB - apologies that I was tired.
    My school is in Notice to Improve and has converted to Academy status with a sponsor who hae made these decisions. I hae used their terms. However, it's something new to myself and other staff.
    I was querying the lack of staff representation as I have never dealt with anything other than a Governing Body in a school.
    No, I was not a Governor in the school.

10. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

You have a notice to improve. Not quite as bad as special measures. Staff unions usually try to get involved to protect their members from any turbulence. You should have an action statement developed. I'm still not sure what an LAB is.

11. Rott Weiler

This makes rather a difference! All the previous answers have referred to your LA and assumed you were an LA school but as you are not none of the information given so far applies to you. IEBs and the LA's intervention powers don't apply to academies and there is no equivalent law for academies. By becoming an academy your GB effectively agreed to give all its powers to the Academy Trust, who now run your school. They appoint local governing bodies and decide what functions to delegate to them. I'm guessing here, but it could be that your Academy Trust has decided to call the GB a LAB. It can call it whatever it likes. This is probably a permanent arrangement, not a temporary one, you'll only find out by asking the Academy Trust. To find out what the specific requirements are for a local governing body you'll need to look at your school's specific funding agreement.