1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - Getting into Teaching

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by rachel104, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Dear Stephen
    I recently graduated with a First Class Honours degree in Popular Music. I am desperate to get into teaching as I am passionate about my subject and I would love to teach.
    I was a mature student and have had other jobs throughout my education which do not directly relate to music/teaching. However, I do have experience in teaching guitar (one on one and in groups) with ages 4 to 40+. In my other jobs I have often been put forward to conduct staff training as I have always been keen to teach others. I do not currently have any classroom experience although this is something I am actively pursuing. I have found this difficult to secure, especially having recently relocated to London with few reliable contacts.
    I have been considering the SCCD (Schools Courses & Career Development) who "offer Preparing to Teach in Compulsory Education fully accredited and affords trainees the opportunity to be hired by schools as unqualified teachers." I have been told that they will be able to secure me a 2 week placement with a school, after which the school will decide if they want to keep me as an unqualified teacher, hopefully with a view to embarking upon the GTP as soon as possible. Do you know how realistic this is?
    I am really confused about the options that are actually available to me. I am really keen to get some classroom experience but just keep coming up against a brick wall and without this I have been led to believ e that I will not be considered for the PGCE or GTP.
    I'd be extremely grateful if you can offer any guidance, advice or contacts as I am really struggling to make any progress at the moment.
    Many thanks in anticipation
    Rachel

2. Dear Stephen
    I recently graduated with a First Class Honours degree in Popular Music. I am desperate to get into teaching as I am passionate about my subject and I would love to teach.
    I was a mature student and have had other jobs throughout my education which do not directly relate to music/teaching. However, I do have experience in teaching guitar (one on one and in groups) with ages 4 to 40+. In my other jobs I have often been put forward to conduct staff training as I have always been keen to teach others. I do not currently have any classroom experience although this is something I am actively pursuing. I have found this difficult to secure, especially having recently relocated to London with few reliable contacts.
    I have been considering the SCCD (Schools Courses & Career Development) who "offer Preparing to Teach in Compulsory Education fully accredited and affords trainees the opportunity to be hired by schools as unqualified teachers." I have been told that they will be able to secure me a 2 week placement with a school, after which the school will decide if they want to keep me as an unqualified teacher, hopefully with a view to embarking upon the GTP as soon as possible. Do you know how realistic this is?
    I am really confused about the options that are actually available to me. I am really keen to get some classroom experience but just keep coming up against a brick wall and without this I have been led to believ e that I will not be considered for the PGCE or GTP.
    I'd be extremely grateful if you can offer any guidance, advice or contacts as I am really struggling to make any progress at the moment.
    Many thanks in anticipation
    Rachel

3. Lots of schools use peripatetic teachers for music. Is this a route that you could try first? That would get you some experience in schools before applying for teacher training in the next year or two. I would see if your local authority runs a schools music service.

4. Hi Rachel
    Firstly, congratulations on gaining your first class honours degree. Music is a priority subject at secondary level and you would be eligible to apply for a £9000 bursary should you decide to apply for the PGCE.
    Please contact the course providers to whom you would like to apply to find out exactly how much experience they would like as this can vary. Any experience with young people will strengthen your application.
    Your decision on the course you mentioned would depend on what you feel it could offer. You could contact local schools yourself to see if they could offer observational experience. Alternatively, ask if you could volunteer during school hours or in after or pre school clubs. This would enable you to build up a relationship with a school to see if they would support your application for the GTP. You can find contact details for local schools by visiting www.schoolswebdirectory.co.uk.
    You could also volunteer to work in a youth club, as a scout or guide leader or in play schemes. Voluntary placements are sometimes advertised in the local press or library. There are also local organisations that may be able to help; have a look at your local authority's website.
    For further advice on the routes into teaching, contact the teaching information line on 0800 389 2500.

Stephen Hillier, TDA