1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen GCSE WITHDRAWL LEGAL RIGHTS

Discussion in 'Governors' started by primaryexpert, Mar 10, 2015.

1. primaryexpert

primaryexpert New commenter

A parent at my school has informed us they do not want their child to be entered for GCSE English on the basis that that child recently passed an IGCSE privately.

Do they have the legal right to insist on this or does the school have the legal right to still enter them?

Naturally, we do not expect them to turn up for the exam but t that they could get a grade sufficient to count in the league tables.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

I don't believe there is any legislation that states that a student has to do an exam. If they were made to turn up they could simply bomb the exam anyway. You might consider persuading the parents of the additional value of gaining the English GCSE as many employers will judge the IGCSE as much easier to achieve . Maybe gently suggest that the parents pay the entrance fee if the pupil doesn't turn up. Ask the English examinations board for advice.

PS Stephen seems to be no more on this forum. Perhaps it should be renamed.

3. primaryexpert

primaryexpert New commenter

Thank you so much for this reply - would you agree/believe therefore that conversely we have no legal right to enter them ?

4. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

Conversely, I would agree with you. Entries should always be in the best interests of the student and not the school.

It wasn't too long ago when schools were gaming the system with early and later entries and

now it is only when schools believe they are confident the student has the best opportunity to succeed.