1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - Foundation PCC Governor in Church School

Discussion in 'Governors' started by ROSIEGIRL, Jan 11, 2012.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I just need to clarify something for my own peace of mind.
    As a Foundation Governor in a Church School appointed/nominated/selected by the church PCC I don't have to 'represent' the views of the PCC on the governing body do I? I am a Governor in my own right and can vote and make decisions as I see fit, in the best interest of the school?
    I hope my understanding is correct and would be grateful for your clarification.

Thanks

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I just need to clarify something for my own peace of mind.
    As a Foundation Governor in a Church School appointed/nominated/selected by the church PCC I don't have to 'represent' the views of the PCC on the governing body do I? I am a Governor in my own right and can vote and make decisions as I see fit, in the best interest of the school?
    I hope my understanding is correct and would be grateful for your clarification.

Thanks

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You are correct, you are not the PCC's delegate, but bear in mind that you do have to act within the broad legal framework that a Foundation Governor "is appointed for the purposes of securing that the [religious] character of the school ....is preserved and developed....".
    The PCC that appoints you can also remove you at any time for any reason, so in practice continually acting directly contrary to the PCC's views might simply result in the PCC replacing you!