1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen: Embarking on teaching career at 35, best options?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by kateymw, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Hello

I would really love to follow my dream to become a primary teacher, which is something I have considered for a number of years now. I have been looking at the best routes and I am aware it is very competitive, I also worry that at 35 I might be considered too old!

I have excellent GCSE and A levels (mainly grade A) which includes maths A level, and a undergraduate and masters degree in Law.

I have recently been made redundant and hope to use this as a push to finally change career.

My current plan is to try and spend the rest of this year getting as much voluntary / observational classroom time as possible in a number of schools which I will approach directly. Is there any particular way I should approach them, or just call and try and make an appointment with the Head? I am hoping that cumulatively I can get 6 weeks experience. I am just worried that this won't be enough compared to people who have been able to work as TAs and get a lot more time than this. Obviously I am looking at voluntary work and I can't really afford to spend more than 6 weeks of unpaid time in schools.

I then hope to apply for a GTP for September 2013 start but my local training providers state that you have to have a school willing to sponsor you. Any advice on how best to approach finding one?

It will be a huge financial struggle to spend this time retraining, and the GTP is my only option with a mortgage and young family to support. I am just looking for any advice on what I can do to help strengthen my application, which I assume has to be done by the end of this year looking at the closing dates. I am really passionate about this!

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Hello

I would really love to follow my dream to become a primary teacher, which is something I have considered for a number of years now. I have been looking at the best routes and I am aware it is very competitive, I also worry that at 35 I might be considered too old!

I have excellent GCSE and A levels (mainly grade A) which includes maths A level, and a undergraduate and masters degree in Law.

I have recently been made redundant and hope to use this as a push to finally change career.

My current plan is to try and spend the rest of this year getting as much voluntary / observational classroom time as possible in a number of schools which I will approach directly. Is there any particular way I should approach them, or just call and try and make an appointment with the Head? I am hoping that cumulatively I can get 6 weeks experience. I am just worried that this won't be enough compared to people who have been able to work as TAs and get a lot more time than this. Obviously I am looking at voluntary work and I can't really afford to spend more than 6 weeks of unpaid time in schools.

I then hope to apply for a GTP for September 2013 start but my local training providers state that you have to have a school willing to sponsor you. Any advice on how best to approach finding one?

It will be a huge financial struggle to spend this time retraining, and the GTP is my only option with a mortgage and young family to support. I am just looking for any advice on what I can do to help strengthen my application, which I assume has to be done by the end of this year looking at the closing dates. I am really passionate about this!

Many thanks in advance for your advice.