1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen Direction and advise please,

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by greta444, Jan 28, 2012.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Actually I don't think you are ok to teach grammer in English.

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

at least the OP can spell 'grammar' ;)

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I would suggest doing some ITT. It's better to have a teacher training qualification so you have an understanding of specs, SEN etc. At the very least I would suggest doing some observation in schools. Not all school teachers are good (though most are are recently so many people have trained that itis fareasier to fail poor quality trainees) but I have come across several tutors without QTS who upset students and parents by failing to understand the curriculum.

4. Asabi, Yes you can teach just maths. With an engineering degree you obviously have the required subject knowledge.

I don't agree that you need to do any teacher training; being a good school teacher and a good tutor are completely different things.

You must however make sure that you know exactly what you should be teaching and how it will be examined.

I don't think knowledge of SEN is necessary unless you're interested in that area, in which case you'd better do some suitable training. But in many years of tutoring I've never been asked to work with any pupils with special educational needs. If I was asked I'd say no, I have no experience or qualifications in that area.

hhhh, I'm intrigued. How did you come across several tutors who don't understand the curriculum?

Finally Asabi, I would advise you against offering English tuition. Certain aspects of you post suggest that English is not your first language. Sorry if I'm mistaken. Even if it is your first language you would need a lot more than good grammar, spelling and punctuation to be a good English tutor. I'm sure there's a lot more to teaching English than that.