1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - Concerning a letter from the Chair of Governors

Discussion in 'Governors' started by MrsMacPLatt, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dear Stephen, I have received a letter from the Chair of Governors at my son's school in which he says that if I continue the contact with the school in the terms in which I have already made contact - writing letters at the request of the Head of MFL asking for there to be two languages available in school time for students in a Language College at GCSE and following them up with research about what is available at other Language Colleges in the county - he will do "whatever he can to stop me". I believe I have been direct, but respectful, and my letters have been well researched. His view is that I have been rude and harrassed staff. I believe he should not write to a parent like that and certainly not threaten to stop me from asking questions about the provision at the school. He has not addressed my concerns about the quality of the French teaching and the provision for gifted language students. There has been a meeting at County Hall looking at his letter and all the correspondence and the feedback I have received is that his letter to me "was a bit rude" but they aren't going to follow it up. How can I now approach the school with my continuing concerns about the quality of the French teaching if he addresses me in those terms? Surely it is his job to investigate my concerns, not to dismiss them and to meet with me to reassure me that my son's education - he is in the top 5% for both languages and wishes to take them both at GCSE - is being met by the school.

2. Dear Stephen, I have received a letter from the Chair of Governors at my son's school in which he says that if I continue the contact with the school in the terms in which I have already made contact - writing letters at the request of the Head of MFL asking for there to be two languages available in school time for students in a Language College at GCSE and following them up with research about what is available at other Language Colleges in the county - he will do "whatever he can to stop me". I believe I have been direct, but respectful, and my letters have been well researched. His view is that I have been rude and harrassed staff. I believe he should not write to a parent like that and certainly not threaten to stop me from asking questions about the provision at the school. He has not addressed my concerns about the quality of the French teaching and the provision for gifted language students. There has been a meeting at County Hall looking at his letter and all the correspondence and the feedback I have received is that his letter to me "was a bit rude" but they aren't going to follow it up. How can I now approach the school with my continuing concerns about the quality of the French teaching if he addresses me in those terms? Surely it is his job to investigate my concerns, not to dismiss them and to meet with me to reassure me that my son's education - he is in the top 5% for both languages and wishes to take them both at GCSE - is being met by the school.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Out of interest, did they put French in the extra option block (I seem to remember that this was their compromise)? If so, what was the outcome?
    I am also slightly confused. Your original posts concentrated on the options issue, is that still your overriding concern, or is it the quality of provision?

4. My dialogue with the school started with the options issue and French went in as a compromise, for which I thanked the Head Teacher. We have not heard the outcome of the Options process and been given no date by which we might hear. Although the CoG was copied in on all my correspondence with the Head, my letter addressed to the CoG as a "complaint" was concerning the school's gifted & talented policy in relation to my son who, according to their policy is defined as G&T in languages (top 5-10% in subject) and asking what they were doing to support him. The CoG's letter to me did not address my questions about G&T provision in languages and he has not offered any discussion or re-assuance about the provision. My son is still being taught in a mixed ability class by an NQT and his progress has slowed down. I guess I was trying to highlight the fact that the school has a bunch of Year 9s who are all very good at languages and that they should be supporting them not just through the options process but also to achieve the A*s they will probably get with the right support. My son is only one of a group of double linguists for whom this is an issue.