1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen... Appointment of Head Teacher

Discussion in 'Governors' started by ProfHarry, Dec 30, 2011.

1. It has been interesting reading this 'conversation' on appointing the new Head. I teach in a small school, I am also a staff Governor and we are soon to interview for a new Head. Myself and another fellow staff Gov. were told that we couldn't be on the selection panel for reasons mentioned above if things go wrong. So the selection panel contains 2 relatively new Governors, who are quite new to the school. So basically we have no say in the choice of the new Head, but are expected to ratify the decision of the panel at the end of the process - how can we do that when we haven't been involved?

2. www.nationalcollege.org.uk/...headteachers.../appointing-a-candidate.
    Be sure you know exactly what you can do....our governors were bullied by the small group who chose themselves to be on the panel.
    Check out paragraph 15

3. The law for all this is in The School Staffing (England) Regulations 2009 para 15.
    Sorry forgot to add this reference.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Well, it is good that you will welcome the new Head to the school with an open mind and positive attitude. You all met her for 2 days and yet you have already decided that she will destroy the school. Let's hope that your attitudes don't make it a self-fulfilling prophecy...

5. >actually we know quite a lot about her...there are other routes and methods...