1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen and others; is it wrong to go in to teaching if you think you don't want to do it forever?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Thinkinginspanglish, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Hi there

I'm due to start a PGCE in September and am doing it for a number of reasons; I'm currently stuck in a job I don't like and it has limited prospects. I've given it a lot of thought and like the idea of teaching as it seems to give you a strong qualification that would make you eligible for a number of different avenues, perhaps moving in to education programmes or youth work later on. Do most people go in to teaching thinking they want to do it forever?

Thanks!

2. I'm not sure if it's 'wrong', although to be honest, if this profession wasn't something that I really wanted to do I don't know if I would have had the commitment to complete PGCE or the NQT year. It's a hard slog to get through your first few years. Most people go into it because they see themselves in a classroom.
    On the other hand, there are a large number of teachers who leave the profession in the first five years for various reasons. Have you spent any time in schools and seen your subject taught? It might help you to decide if worth the time and the expense.

3. Thanks for your reply Trickery, yes I have and I've previously taught English.
    I know that I'll enjoy the daily engagement with the kids, I've just read a lot of posts from burnt out teachers who perhaps are scaring me a little! I'm also late 20s and so feel I need to be careful with my career options. I am really interested in charity, youth projects and education programmes and think teaching with give me some solid skills and perhaps the option to pursue the youth area. I've got several family friends who have been lifelong teachers and are now retiring and I guess I didn't want to demean the profession by admitting that I'm not sure I could do it for the next 30 years.

4. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

Sorry to be doom and gloom, but you have a job, there are 1000s of teacher who don't. Your prospects as a teacher could go from limited in your current post, to zero if you aren't one of the exceptionally lucky few who do get a job.
    You need to look at job availabilty, look at unemployed teachers and job seekers and really think about this before you give up your post.
    Good luck what ever happens to you.

5. Hi
    Congratulations on gaining a place on the PGCE. People choose teaching for a number of reasons and there is no compulsion to consider it as a job for life. You are quite correct that it is a very strong and valuable qualification which involves many transferable skills. Schools will of course be looking for enthusiasm for teaching but they are aware that teachers may leave the profession for a variety of reasons. You also need to consider that having gained QTS, you will retain this status for life, so should you choose to explore different educational roles, you will be able to return to teaching at a later date with more knowledge to bring to the classroom.
    I hope you enjoy your course and wish you a successful teaching career.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA