1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - a question about questions

Discussion in 'Governors' started by greenman23, Mar 23, 2015.

1. I am a Chair and doing some work on effective governance for my own learning. This is a informal question and I am curious to know, if Governors could ask their Headteachers (or School Leaders) any 3 questions whatsoever about their schools what would they be? Thanks!

2. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

3. Thanks. Apart from those ! and the ones on pupil premium and sports premium and SEND and Raise etc etc ..I'm keen to get under the skin of all these questions...to the centre of something I am finding elusive at the moment...!!

4. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

You might also consider popping your question on www.UKgovernors.org.uk for a multitude of suggestions.

1. What is the school's vision and aims for the next 3-5 years?

2. What are the long term intentions of the SLT in their current positions?

3. What are your weaknesses and what do you regret not achieving in school so far?

5. accidentalgov

accidentalgov New commenter

I'm getting to grips with being a newish parent governor right now. For various reasons, I'm even considering running for the role of chair in the forthcoming election ...

I'd really like to get the head's and other teachers view on the board of governors and the work we do.
    So much of it seems to have little point other than to go through the motions ... our standard questions are so dull, and answered over and over in various self-assessments and development plans.

1) How much difference does the scrutiny we do make?

2) Which bits work best, and which bits just waste your time?

3) We seem to take no active part in the strategic direction of the school. Would you like some help? :)

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Might have been a good idea to start your own thread on this accidentalgov, I nearly missed it.

"Dear Stephen" - and the NGA of which he was Chair - hasn't been seen here for years despite what the TES Forum header claims so you won't get an answer from him I'm afraid.

This would be a good question to post on the Headteachers forum on here, although I might phrase it a little differently: "What could governors do and ask that you would find challenging and valuable?".

And although you are only wanting to ask headteachers you might get more responses from governors if you post the question on the UK Governors forum (no connection with TES).

(I was going to post more, but TES forum is giving me the run around this evening some technical problem with connecting, I'll try again later).

7. Rott Weiler

@TES_Rosaline

Could someone remove duplicate post please? I seem to have a lot of technical problems on here today - slow connections etc, only happening on TES.

8. Rott Weiler

www.ukgovernors.org.uk/

9. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Three things that come to mind are: governors Inclusion, team building and communication. Do you ever feel like an unseen, unheard loner who should know more about what is going on in the school? Sometimes I do but small things can make significant improvements. Doing a learning walk helps quite a lot.