1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Stephen - a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Governors' started by cornflake, Feb 20, 2013.

1. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Who determines the required contents for the ht report? And the chair report?
    When should they be written? Verbal?

What is the process for agreeing minutes of committee meetings/fgb meetings?

2. cornflake

Who determines the required contents for the ht report? And the chair report?
    When should they be written? Verbal?

What is the process for agreeing minutes of committee meetings/fgb meetings?

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There is no "required content", nor any legal requirement to have a HT report at all. It's up to the GB to decide what reports it wants from HT and what it wants in them. I'd expect it to be something head and GB agreed between them. It should be focussed on the key issues for governors, standards and progress, teaching and learning. There are certain things which the HT has to report in one form or another - eg pupil exclusion data. There's plenty of guidance around on good practice for heads' reports.
    Likewise there's no requirement for one of these (unlesss you mean the Chair reporting back on 'urgent chair's action' taken since last meeting, which should be rare, or something specifically delegated to the chair). Presumably if a GB decides it wants a Chair's Report (what on?) it will decide what it wants in it.
    GB decides it's own procedures, no legal requirements. Likely to be a mixture of both, depends on content. I'd expect a HT's report to be written in good time to be circulated in advance with the agenda. A verbal report at the meeting on anything of substance doesn't allow governors to do their job of challenge and critical friend properly. And would be a waste of the Clerk's time as the clerk then has to try and minute what HT is saying.
    This is covered by law (Procedures Regulations). They must be agreed at the next meeting of the GB or the Committee by the governors/committee members present at the next meeting and signed by the Chair of Governors/Chair of Committee (or whoever is chairing the next GB/Committee meeting).

4. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

Adding to RW on this aspect, I would expect draft minutes of a meeting to be sent to the chair and head for all FGB and Committee meetings, and for those two to be allowed up to a week for any alterations. I would then expect the clerk to your governing body to issue a 'Draft' copy of those minutes to all the members present at the meeting. All too often minutes can be issued just in time for the next meeting (which can be 2 or 3 months away) which is totally wrong and tests the memory too much and does little for good governance.

5. cornflake

Thank you. I was informed that the gb would tell me what they expected me to report on and that i had to comply.
    Can they demand anything?

I agree with the contents as suggested - and indeed searched for good examples on line previously. My first report was commended ... Now this. The comment felt like a bullying tactic - you must do as we say type thing. Perhaps I am being overly sensitive

To clarify minutes .... Clerk currently writes. Circulates draft of committee meetings to chair of that ctte for agreement, then to me as HT for comments. then they go to next ctte meeting for discussion and agreement. Is that correct? Should Chair of Govs be in this loop - if so where?

Thanks for help so far

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

So I'm assuming you are the Head cornflake?
    As a long-standing chair my thoughts are this...
    The real problem you are facing is nothing to do with the content of HT's reports but in establishing a proper and professional partnership with your GB. Always hard to advise on that because it's all about inter-personal relationships. Technically the GB can direct you what to include in your report (for legal geeks it's s30 of the 2002 Education Act "The head teacher of a maintained school shall provide the governing body ...with such reports in connection with the discharge of his functions as the governing body ... may require (either on a regular basis or from time to time)...") but frankly if GBs, heads and or any other organisation went around demanding their legal rights all the time we'd be in constant conflict and nothing would be achieved (other than an Ofsted 'inadequate L&M' judgement).
    Are you fairly new in post? Sounds like it. If I were you a one-to-one with the chair establishing your mutual expectations might be the way forward - but it must be based on mutual respect for each other, not telling each other what your legal rights are. Only you know how/whether that can be achieved.
    Keep focussed on how your report can help governors carry out their obligations and achieve a 'good governance' grading.
    Re minutes of committees. What you describe sounds exactly right to me, it's what we do. I can't see why COG should be in loop unless s/he's on the committee, but if s/he wants to be in the loop s/he needs to sort that out with the committee chair. As head don't get involved!

7. cornflake

Have tried several one-to-ones with Chair, and have support from the LA. I have held a three way meeting with LA advisor to support me in managing their expectations.... Becoming very frustrated as the message that I am not there 24/7 to do as they command is not getting through. Yes fairly new in post! Lots of issues (both staff and governors) and am beginning to drown.

I feel quite strongly that my report was designed to ensure good governance, rather than just sharing new about the football team. Which is why I am somewhat dispirited by this. I am happy to be guided into writing better reports if that is what is required, but I am uncomfortable with including comments on individual teachers performance for example, to the entire fgb.

Chair has interfered in minute loop as described and has thus created additional work for both myself, clerk, and committee chair. Most importantly I felt it undermined the delegation to the chair of that committee as his work was "over-ruled" and he was made to feel he was not doing a good enough job. Thanks for the advice. I'll stay out of that one!

8. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

Never include comments about individual teachers performance at your FGB. Totally unprofessional. For starters you will have other staff governors present and more importantly if ever a situation got to competency and there was an appeal you would have no one left that wasn't tainted. It sounds to me that your Chair needs some retraining. This chair needs to understand that you are relatively new to the role and are getting to grips with the major issues in school that you need to sort and you need this chair rowing in the same direction and singing from the same hymn sheet.

9. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

When I was a staff governor the head used to include comments on individual teachers in his report to governors meetings and staff governors were told to leave the room.