1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sara - NQT who has resigned - career prospects?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by z1k, Mar 9, 2009.

1. z1k

z1k New commenter

Dear Sara (and all you NQTs out there),
    In Sept last year I started my NQT post, in a school I really wanted to work in. I wish now that I had visited first - all you job seekers out there take heed - and gotten a flavour of what it was really like before I accepted the job offer.
    It was (is) an outstanding school, but not such a great place to work. A NQT left in the first month and by the end of Dec, I too had handed in my resignation. I was left with fragile self-confidence, despite doing well at my PGCE course placements, and more importantly, not wanting to teach again.
    After a few months off from teaching, I am ready to try again. I got a decent reference from my Headteacher - my resignation was amicable - but at the end of the day, as far as the school is concerned I did not cut the mustard. They were planning to fail me, which is why I took the advice of the NUT and resigned.
    My question is - what's the best way to go about presenting and explaining this on my CV and to prospective employers? Will they take one look at my application and say no way? I have excellent references otherwise and a very good university degree. Any advice you or other posters can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    ex-NQT

2. Thanks for posting this, I am in a similar position. However I resigned this time last year and other than some voluntary work and 5 days supply I haven't taught since.
    My school was not outstanding, in fact it barely scraped a satisfactory! I know that I want to teach, my supply days have shown me that, but I'm too scared to put in any applications because I don't know how to present myself on a cv/application form or at interview!
    My self esteem is still not back to where it should be (I suffered from severe stress caused by a demanding school and a mentor who was a bully as well as some external pressures, my children and a husband who was working out of the country a great deal).
    I completed my first two terms with 'room for improvement' yet on my placements I had good and outstanding. I just don't know how to attempt to sell myself! Help!?!

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Wow that really is resurrecting the dead thread - the OP only has one post [​IMG]
    Resigning will mean you have only completed a selected number of terms, did you start in Sept? If you resign by Feb half term you'll leave at Easter which means you should have completed two terms and need to finish the final one elsewhere?
    What is it you're worried about? Are you struggling with the year? The school? Do bare in mind how hard it will be to find a new post, I know its horrid to be somewhere which makes your feel dreadful but if you can complete the year its usually far easier to get a job when you have a job x

(And if you're using your real name I'd get it changed or create a new profile for the forums especially)