1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by DOakwood, May 31, 2012.

1. I am currently applying for Teaching posts in order to start my NQT year. I actually recieved my QTS back in 2006 and have not taught since then. (I have been worked as an LSA in primary for the last academic year and been getting some whole class teaching experience along the way). I had thought my QTS had expired after five years but this seems to be a very commonly held misconception. Even the senior leadership team at school thought this was the case. My question is... how do I 'inform' schools that I AM able to teach without making it look like I am a) desperate and b) appearing unproffessional.... it strikes me that so few people know the facts that my application is going to get no further than the dates I achieved my QTS....

2. I am currently applying for Teaching posts in order to start my NQT year. I actually recieved my QTS back in 2006 and have not taught since then. (I have been worked as an LSA in primary for the last academic year and been getting some whole class teaching experience along the way). I had thought my QTS had expired after five years but this seems to be a very commonly held misconception. Even the senior leadership team at school thought this was the case. My question is... how do I 'inform' schools that I AM able to teach without making it look like I am a) desperate and b) appearing unproffessional.... it strikes me that so few people know the facts that my application is going to get no further than the dates I achieved my QTS....

3. Yes, it is an urban myth that QTS expires. It never has. From this September there are new guidelines for induction. You are free to apply for teaching posts and you can state that you understand that you may need to complete induction, you obviously have to show when you got QTS, how you tell prospective heads who don't understand QTS regulations is by stating that your QTS can be confirmed through the teaching agency.
    You will not be able to undertake any short term supply teaching (anything less than one term) as, under the new regs there is a fixed 5 year limit for working on short term supply and as you gaioned QTS in 2006 you will be outside the five year limit.
    The Sage