1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by leelee88, Apr 18, 2012.

1. I am aware that it would be best to phone my LA but I thought about getting some advice in the internet about my NQT year. I have been working as a supply teacher and teaching assistant since September. Since the beginning of last half term I have been working at a school as an Advanced Teaching Assistant with consistent hours and sometimes as a teacher on the odd half day. This sometimes this has required me to plan my own lessons. In both roles I am very much involved in the teaching as assessment with the class I have been working with. Today I have been offered to work a full day each week as a teacher to cover PPA for the foreseeable future. Talking to a college who has arranged this and who is also experienced being a mentor for an NQT, we are both unsure how and if there is a possibility that this work I have been/ will be carrying out. I feel that that the time I have spent at this school in either role has been really valuable to me because of the different situations I have been involved in, for example local authority advisers visiting, observing and acting upon their suggestions. Some of these experiences I feel could be put towards my core standard as I think they could be hard to come by, depending on if I was based at another school. I would really appreciate your opinion and advice.

Thank you!

L.

2. I am aware that it would be best to phone my LA but I thought about getting some advice in the internet about my NQT year. I have been working as a supply teacher and teaching assistant since September. Since the beginning of last half term I have been working at a school as an Advanced Teaching Assistant with consistent hours and sometimes as a teacher on the odd half day. This sometimes this has required me to plan my own lessons. In both roles I am very much involved in the teaching as assessment with the class I have been working with. Today I have been offered to work a full day each week as a teacher to cover PPA for the foreseeable future. Talking to a college who has arranged this and who is also experienced being a mentor for an NQT, we are both unsure how and if there is a possibility that this work I have been/ will be carrying out. I feel that that the time I have spent at this school in either role has been really valuable to me because of the different situations I have been involved in, for example local authority advisers visiting, observing and acting upon their suggestions. Some of these experiences I feel could be put towards my core standard as I think they could be hard to come by, depending on if I was based at another school. I would really appreciate your opinion and advice.

Thank you!

L.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Your past sporadic teaching cannot be counted for Induction and you cannot use examples of that work in any NQT Induction file.
    Your TA work is ineligible for Induction.
    The PPA one day per week teaching role could be part of Induction but only if the school can state that they will be employing you in that role (planning and assessing a regular timetable) for at elast a term's length (from any point in one school term until at least the same point in the next).
    They'd have to register you with the LAS as an NQT on Induction and give you 10% PPA time of your own and a further 10% NQT time. That might be given as extra paid hours outside the contact hours covering olther teachers' PPA time.
    However, one day per week on Induction would need the employment to last 5 school terms for one Induction term to be completed. If the work didn't last that long, you would leave with nothing recorded for Induction and would need to start Induction again elsewhere.