1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage...

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by KatieK12345, Mar 13, 2012.

1. I'm an nqt, started in September. I have been observed 9 times this term so far and 7 of those have been in this half term. A few have been from the SENco observing SEN provision throughout the school and from an AST working in our school. I just feel this is too much. I have been told about less than half in advance and 2 of these I knew the date but no time. The one I had today was supposed to be literacy at 8:50, but she didn't come until 9:50 so watched my maths. For no obs have I been given a focus or agreed on what they are observing me for so the feedback seems to be on everything, which is overwhelming! My last ob from my induction tutor, he turned up with no prior warning.

I have another observation next Friday and I just don't think me or my kids can handle it. Help!

2. I'm an nqt, started in September. I have been observed 9 times this term so far and 7 of those have been in this half term. A few have been from the SENco observing SEN provision throughout the school and from an AST working in our school. I just feel this is too much. I have been told about less than half in advance and 2 of these I knew the date but no time. The one I had today was supposed to be literacy at 8:50, but she didn't come until 9:50 so watched my maths. For no obs have I been given a focus or agreed on what they are observing me for so the feedback seems to be on everything, which is overwhelming! My last ob from my induction tutor, he turned up with no prior warning.

I have another observation next Friday and I just don't think me or my kids can handle it. Help!

3. You need to talk to your mentor -it is one thing to be observed and helpe, another to feel that you are being beseiged by observers. It seems to me that people have the veiw that 'more' is better and that just is not true - you won't get better by being constantly observed (just as kids don't get more intelligent by testing them all the time!)
    Any observation is stressful and this seems to be too much - ask your mentor to provide you with a break and time to digest feedback. General 'picky' feedback is also not productive - an agreed focus and detailed feedback on POSITIVE as well as areas f0or improvement is the way to go - put it like this, if all you ever did was give negative picky feedabck to kids on their work then you woulod be taken to task - why is it different for you as a NQT - just because you are an adult does not mean that you don't have feelings, that you don't need balance and time to implement and improve and, yes I'll say - time to make mistakes and learn.
    Try to tell the mentor your problem and suggest a solution which results in a better healthier way of monitorinfg progress.
    The Sage