1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage where do I start?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by empea, May 11, 2012.

1. empea

empea New commenter

So I've just started my last 7 week placement and I am to plan 5 weeks of literacy and numeracy. Which was fine, in fact I was quite excited about the freedom... then I sat down in my PPA to begin planning with a million ideas racing round - but now I'm having an almight "oh jimeny cricket fiddle sticks" moment and panicing because I have no idea where to begin or where to look to start my planning. I'm a 'good' teacher, but only because I can teach other peoples medium term plans - now it's down to me, I'm completely drowning.
    Have you got any tips on how I can begin sorting my thoughts, sourcing ideas and begin planning for progression for this next 5 weeks?
    Many many thanks!!

2. empea

empea New commenter

So I've just started my last 7 week placement and I am to plan 5 weeks of literacy and numeracy. Which was fine, in fact I was quite excited about the freedom... then I sat down in my PPA to begin planning with a million ideas racing round - but now I'm having an almight "oh jimeny cricket fiddle sticks" moment and panicing because I have no idea where to begin or where to look to start my planning. I'm a 'good' teacher, but only because I can teach other peoples medium term plans - now it's down to me, I'm completely drowning.
    Have you got any tips on how I can begin sorting my thoughts, sourcing ideas and begin planning for progression for this next 5 weeks?
    Many many thanks!!

3. I remember this feeling all too well. I still struggle with Literacy (NQT). I suggest you start by looking at the objectives you need to cover. I then allocated each day an objective and made sure that they linked together in a logical fashion. (Find the objectives from the renewed frameworks for the appropriate year group, which you should find if you Google them). Then start working out how you're going to meet the objective. You also need to have an idea of what you want to achieve at the end of the unit.