1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage - what counts as time towards nqt year?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by moomin4, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hi,

By easter I will have done 2 full terms of nqt year. I am leaving at end of thisbterm due to not being supported and plan to find another role in sept to do final full term and complete nqt year.

However I have seen a vacancy which would give me much needed work in the summer term without relying on supply. It is from mid May to beginning of July. So not a full term. Does this have to go towards my nqt year....cos I wouldn't want it to as doesn't give me long enough to make an impression and successfully complete nqt year. For my final nqt term I really want to do the autumn term as it gives me the best opportunity to get stuck in and prove myself....(seriously had confidence knocked in current school)

2. Hi,

By easter I will have done 2 full terms of nqt year. I am leaving at end of thisbterm due to not being supported and plan to find another role in sept to do final full term and complete nqt year.

However I have seen a vacancy which would give me much needed work in the summer term without relying on supply. It is from mid May to beginning of July. So not a full term. Does this have to go towards my nqt year....cos I wouldn't want it to as doesn't give me long enough to make an impression and successfully complete nqt year. For my final nqt term I really want to do the autumn term as it gives me the best opportunity to get stuck in and prove myself....(seriously had confidence knocked in current school)

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You need a full term somewhere for it to count towards your NQT. Due to it not being inductable it will start off your 16 month supply limit although I believe this is changing?
    Good luck with the hunt for September x

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Induction terms can start from any point in a school term as long as it is known that the school intends to still be employing you until at least the same point in the next school term (based on a 3 term school year). The work can be f/t or p/t but a p/t post would have to last for longer than a term's length for an Induction term to be completed.
    As the post you have seen starts in mid May and finishes at the beginning of July it cannot be part of Induction. As stated in the first replay, it would start the clock counting down on your 16 month supply allowance.
    If you got the temporary post, you would not get the 10% NQT timetable reduction. However, if at any point they realsied that the post needs to be extended and they ask you to stay on, it would become Inductable, with the 10% timetable reduction, if there will be a term's length of teaching available from that point.
    For example, you might start in mid May and then in mid-June they might ask you to stay on until at least mid November. If you accept, they would register you as an NQT on Induction with the LA at that point and your timetable would have to be reduced (or regular days or half days be offered off timetable to make up your NQT time).
    If it stays as non-Induction work, you would leave and would be bale to continue taking non-Induction teaching in the State 5-16 sector until mid-September 2013, after which you would need an LA extension of up to 12 months to continue taking short-term teaching if you hadn't managed to complete Induction in the interim.
    There are expected to be changes to the 16 month rule, allowing NQTs 5 years from getting QTS to to be working on supply before any further teaching would have to Induction work BUT it's not clear yet if any new regs will only apply to those who qualify this year (and later).