1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage - what are my options?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Siddz, Apr 2, 2012.

  1. Siddz

    Siddz New commenter

    Dear Sage,
    I have currently finished my second term as an NQT. For the first term I was signed as "is making satisfactory progress" towards the standards. However, for the second term it has been put down as "not making satisfactory progress". During the two terms I have had three mentors (one for a sum total of 5 weeks).
    My current mentor has issued me with what sounds like an informal warning: if I don't start performing in the next four weeks I could be in danger of losing my job. The main issue is the pitch/differentiation of my lessons. I distinctly remember asking my first mentor for help with AFL issues, as this is something I knew I struggled with during my PGCE year.
    To make matters worse, I have just finished marking the children's assessments for the second term. Some of the children have not made progress and I know this is an additional concern that will be voiced when I return after the break.
    I don't know what to do. Should I quit now or wait and see how things pan out when I return after the break?
     
  2. Siddz

    Siddz New commenter

    Dear Sage,
    I have currently finished my second term as an NQT. For the first term I was signed as "is making satisfactory progress" towards the standards. However, for the second term it has been put down as "not making satisfactory progress". During the two terms I have had three mentors (one for a sum total of 5 weeks).
    My current mentor has issued me with what sounds like an informal warning: if I don't start performing in the next four weeks I could be in danger of losing my job. The main issue is the pitch/differentiation of my lessons. I distinctly remember asking my first mentor for help with AFL issues, as this is something I knew I struggled with during my PGCE year.
    To make matters worse, I have just finished marking the children's assessments for the second term. Some of the children have not made progress and I know this is an additional concern that will be voiced when I return after the break.
    I don't know what to do. Should I quit now or wait and see how things pan out when I return after the break?
     
  3. Captain Obvious

    Captain Obvious New commenter

    First of all find out what support they're going to put in place. If you're at risk, they have to ensure they give specific support to help you achieve them.
    You might only want to consider resignation as an option come the end of May - doing that now may not achieve anything. At that stage you could still walk away, not have a 3rd term count against you (i.e. fail!) and hopefully seek a new school for September.
     

Share This Page