1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage- To do PGCE or Not?!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by templemans, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I was 3 years through a Bed in Scotland when i decided i couldnt cope with it anymore. 3 years of teaching had taken its toll and after a really bad placement in Year 3 i decided my 4th year would be too much to bear.
    I have since done a PostGrad in Careers and work with secondary school children in school. I have started to feel like i could cope with teaching once again.
    Its my ultimate goal to work in early years and i have been told, even though i was 1 year away from completing a Bed in Primary Teaching, i will have to do the full PGCE.
    I want to focus on early years but i am apprehensive about the PGCE as a programme as i know my Postgrad in Careers was really difficult and this did not involve long placements.
    Would you have any idea of what the PGCE would be like to be on realistically and wether its a suitable choice.
    Also, if you choose to do early years, is there a chance you could receive a placement in other Key Stages other than early years?
    Thanks in Advance to any replies.....[​IMG]
    P.S- I WANT TO COMPLETE EARLY YEARS PGCE IN LONDON, NOT SCOTLAND.

2. Hi,
    I was 3 years through a Bed in Scotland when i decided i couldnt cope with it anymore. 3 years of teaching had taken its toll and after a really bad placement in Year 3 i decided my 4th year would be too much to bear.
    I have since done a PostGrad in Careers and work with secondary school children in school. I have started to feel like i could cope with teaching once again.
    Its my ultimate goal to work in early years and i have been told, even though i was 1 year away from completing a Bed in Primary Teaching, i will have to do the full PGCE.
    I want to focus on early years but i am apprehensive about the PGCE as a programme as i know my Postgrad in Careers was really difficult and this did not involve long placements.
    Would you have any idea of what the PGCE would be like to be on realistically and wether its a suitable choice.
    Also, if you choose to do early years, is there a chance you could receive a placement in other Key Stages other than early years?
    Thanks in Advance to any replies.....[​IMG]
    P.S- I WANT TO COMPLETE EARLY YEARS PGCE IN LONDON, NOT SCOTLAND.

3. A PGCE primary is tough - there is no doubt, but you have an advantage of having three years of a BEd behind you. There is the GTP primary route and the DfE is looking for training schools to recruit their own students so options may be opening. QTS does not restrict your employment to the age/phase or subject you trained in and individaul providers would be able to tell you about how flexible they can be with placements, normally they try to do placements in two consecutive key stages or age ranges.
    Your difficulty may come in convincing a panel on paper or in person that you are now ready for the PGCE having left your previous training with the professional QTS bit to do. Competition for primary is quite fierce.
    The Sage

4. Many thanks for your swift reply sage.

I had thought about GTP but had been told (chinese whispers) it is much tougher than the standard PGCE route. I am considering all options at the moment.
    My concern was not the differing placements at QTS level, but on the actual PGCE; if i wanted to only do early years, would there be a chance i could be placed in KS3/4 for example on the course?
    Thanks Again.....[​IMG]

5. You would not be on a KS3-4 placement if doing an early years PGCE. Only tthose on a secondary programme would be placed at KS3, 4 or post 16.
    The Sage

6. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

I'd say get into an early years class and get some voluntary experience. When you were doing the BEd did you focus on early years or all primary?I know when I trained in Scotland EYs was a different qualification but that was many years ago.