1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage - personal statement on app forms

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by moomin4, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hi,

Does anyone have any great ideas to share about things to put on personal statement. What makes it stand out? Thoughts?

I'm usually pretty good with things like this, but can imagine that different schools / heads would pick up on different things? It is hard to know really unless you have a good understanding of them and the school?

Or maybe advice on what NOT to out on there?

All help appreciated....!!

Thanks

2. Hi,

Does anyone have any great ideas to share about things to put on personal statement. What makes it stand out? Thoughts?

I'm usually pretty good with things like this, but can imagine that different schools / heads would pick up on different things? It is hard to know really unless you have a good understanding of them and the school?

Or maybe advice on what NOT to out on there?

All help appreciated....!!

Thanks

3. The most important thing is to not have <u>a</u> personal statement that you just dish out with every single application.
    You really need to write an individual statement for each application that is tailored specifically to the specification. Of course, most schools will ask for the same things- teamwork, ability to plan and deliver stimulating lessons, effective use of assessment- so I had a bank of phrases that showed how I addressed these things in the past with a specific example. This way, I could copy and paste the sentences (and obviously edit them so that they read well together!) into a statement that was personal, adding anything extra that they wanted and creating a unique introduction that was tailored to the school using information I gained on visits and/or their website.
    It's also well worth including an executive summary. I was offered an interview for everything single application that I included a summary with. The jobseekers forum has a lot more information on this.
    Good luck!

4. As well as the above advice, do also look at the advice given by Theogriff on the jobseekers forum, he is a very experienced head and knows what makes a good application and statement.
    The Sage