1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage - NQT year, accept maternity cover?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by misshlouise, May 5, 2012.

1. Hi

Im doing a PGCE Primary vourse and finish in 9 weeks.

I've been offered a job which is maternity cover for 1 year (i presume) with extending the contract if all goes well and the budget allows.

However - i've heard people say before that they wern't able to complete their NQT year due to the person coming back from maternity before the end of the year etc. I'm worried now that i'll end up in a sticky situation if i accept the position!

She said wether i can extend my contract depends on the budget next year which comes out in March but i don't understand that, if it's not to do with the maternity cover person coming back and taking the job back then surely they will still need the same amount of teachers?!

I don't know what to do, please help!

2. Hi

Im doing a PGCE Primary vourse and finish in 9 weeks.

I've been offered a job which is maternity cover for 1 year (i presume) with extending the contract if all goes well and the budget allows.

However - i've heard people say before that they wern't able to complete their NQT year due to the person coming back from maternity before the end of the year etc. I'm worried now that i'll end up in a sticky situation if i accept the position!

She said wether i can extend my contract depends on the budget next year which comes out in March but i don't understand that, if it's not to do with the maternity cover person coming back and taking the job back then surely they will still need the same amount of teachers?!

I don't know what to do, please help!

3. Read the contract - check whether it has the standard maternity clause "or on the return of the postholder" which means it can end earlier. As for the waiting for the budget in march - they're probably waiting to see if they can afford to keep you on in addition to the postholder (maybe using you elsewhere). Whilst you aren't definitely guaranteed a full year, the signs look good - and bear in mind how hard it is to get a job at the moment. Anyway, if you've said yes verbally it is binding.

4. I'm covering a maternity cover at the minute which I started at the end of June 2011. The lady who I'm covering for is coming back a month earlier than planned but luckily the head has agreed to keep me on in the same class until I've completed a full year so I can complete my NQT. The original teacher will be taking groups, readers etc across the school. They've also offered me a permanent contract for September. It's defiantly worth taking maternity cover, you never know what might come from it!

5. Hey, thanks so much for the advice.

When did they offer you the permanent contract? Do you think that's because you did well in your NQT year and proved it was work keeping you on?

Did you officially start in September in the new school year?

6. loranp

loranp New commenter

To be quite honest, there are far more teaching graduates than there are jobs, so I'd take the maternity cover. If you don't manage to fully complete your NQT year, at least you'll have two terms 'banked'. It's better than being in the position of not having a job at all come September.

7. They offered me the permanent contract officially this week because they've been impressed with me this year and because someone left this year so there was a place for me. I started in June 2011 being paid as supply with my contract starting in September 2011 and ending on June 30th 2012 or the return of the post holder.

The head was always honest with me from the beginning saying he was impressed with me but due to budget they won't be able to keep me on so I should apply for jobs. Then the deputy left and again the head said it would depend on the budget if they would want another deputy or a class teacher. If they advertised for a class teacher I would get the job. However apply for jobs just in case. Then before Easter someone handed in their resignation and the budget was sorted so he offered me a permanent job as well as advertising for another teacher.

I haven't seen the job as just temporary, and to be honest, after 3 years of supply I was grateful that someone had given me a chance and given me a job. The head says he's been impressed with he difference I've made to not only my class but the whole school so defiantly don't think of it as the school where you're "just" the cover.

I've been very lucky but the majority of my friends have also got their permanent jobs through a maternity leave. And as someone else has said, due to the number of jobs around, you can't be that picky. Even if it didn't end in a permanent job you'd have done some of your nqt and gained some experience.

8. I can't work out how you put paragraphs sorry!

9. What you need to do is ask the Head what type of contract he/she is proposing. If it is fixed term for one year with a specifird end date that allows you to complete trhe full year then, no issues or worries even if the person comes back (that said check on the noptice period for both sides and ensure that you are not held to the normal notice period but the school can only give one month).
    If it is a conbtrcat with a one month noptice period on both sides then it can be a bit of a gamble as should the person return the school could give you notice and you may not coimplete rthe full year. If you have completed two terms then youwould only have one more term to do at another school.
    The Sage

10. Hi - with jobs in short supply I'd take the maternity post
    The question to do maternity cover or not is a difficult issue - some people have been fine, completed their induction and even been offered permanent contracts. I think that there is a lot more pressure on postholders to return more quickly than before (recession, worried about holding onto posts etc). If you do take the post, make sure that any financial commitments that you have will withstand an early postholder return.
    I'm one of those who wasn't able to complete their NQT year due to an early returner. They were adamant that they would be away for a year but came back after two terms. I've been lucky that after nearly 12 months doing various kinds of supply/short term contracts I've managed to get another maternity post to finish off my induction. This time the postholder has been very clear about their return date (last day of the summer term) so I know exactly where I am (without pay for the summer but induction completed!).
    My 12 months supply was really horrible, especially with the knowledge that my NQT supply quota was due to end at the end of July this year. It's an experience that I would not like to repeat. If the option is supply or a maternity post, take the maternity. If nothing else; it is experience, a new set of references and should increase your collection of resources. Plus, if you don't like the school, you've got a clear end date. On the negative side, it is difficult to replace a longstanding teacher who is well liked as the kids know that you're temporary and it's difficult to arrive mid-year (September starts should be fine). You might really miss the kids (I did) and unless you are lucky, all the hard work that you put into planning and preparing lessons and SOW won't reduce your workload in your next post.