1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage, LEA registration

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by lucyjp, Jun 1, 2012.

1. I am starting a full time post after half term and have been told by my school that I don't need to be registered with the LEA as their NQT programme is done in house, although there is an external assessment. Is this right?
    Thanks

2. I am starting a full time post after half term and have been told by my school that I don't need to be registered with the LEA as their NQT programme is done in house, although there is an external assessment. Is this right?
    Thanks

3. If youare in a state maintained school (not an academy etc) tehn by law the school must register you with an appropriate body, usually the local authority, for induction. If you are in an academy and they are chossing to place you on induction then again you must be registered with a suitable appropriate body, the local authority.
    The school may well have its own NQT induction, but unless you are registered with an appropriate body then you cannot be formally on an induction programme and time spent cannot be backdated. If the school is a state maintained school then not registering you means that the school is breaking the law.
    Private schools, academies and free schools do not have to offer induction by law, but if they do, for it to count they must register you with an appropriate body.
    You need to ask the Head to register you for induction, if he/she refuses then you can contact the LA directly and ask them to contact the head to explain the situation, but act ASAP otherwise you may find that you will lose time on induction.
    The Sage