1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DEAR SAGE - Interview advice needed - unfamiliar format - Thanks

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Herb82, Jun 26, 2012.

1. I have an interview coming up for a lower KS2 position. In my letter it states that I will be given a learning objective upon arrival and will be delivering a short session to a year 3/4 class, after which there will be a marking task. This is the first time I have experienced an interview of this format as I have usually been given the lesson outline beforehand and never had a marking task. Has anyone had any experience of this kind of set up and if so do you have any advice on what I can expect? I would like to start preparing for it but not sure what I can prepare?
    Thanks

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The point is that they don't want you to prepare - they want to find a teacher who is skilled and knowledgable enough to think on her/his feet. They're clearly fed up of giving the topic in advance and finding candidates showing up with lessons they've got off the internet/prepared for days in advance, who on appointment are a bit clueless.

3. Hi there,

I think you should go with the flow. Don't think about it too much.

When you are given the topic just take a few moments to think about what you could do to teach it and jot down some ideas in a notebook. Make sure you introduce it well, give the pupils something to do (however small or brief) and conclude it well.

Things like this test whether you can think on your feet but, also your creativity.

I hope that helped a little.

Good Luck!

4. Thank you,
    I think that you are right. It would be
    impossible to guess just what I will be given, so I don’t want to overthink it
    all and end up wound up! Like I say,
    with it being quite different to my other experiences I just wanted to get an
    idea of other peoples experiences with this kind of format. </font>

5. For my interview I had to teach a guided reading session but was given no information on the book or the children, just that they were year 1. We were given the books on the morning of the session and had to teach it around 1 hour later. It turned out to be a non-fiction book so I just went through the book, looking at the features of non-fiction books and giving the children lots of chances to read and then discuss the book. It was quite daunting but seemed to be just a way of gauging understanding about guided reading and how to teach a session. I just took with me the AF for reading and then choose a non-fiction objective. It must have been ok as I got the job, even though I didn't know everything about the topic book I was given, I just remembered to use the teaching skills and behaviour management strategies and I assume that is what they were mainly looking at along with progression. Not exactly the same but hope this helps. Good Luck!

6. I would be happy with something like that. I won&rsquo;t lie it is unnerving not having any
    idea what they are going to ask me to do.
    I don&rsquo;t know the subject area, how many children I will have, how long I
    will be taking a session for. Just that
    they are year 3/4. I have been revising
    the levels they are generally expected to be at in-case the marking task is
    levelling but have been advised it will possibly be given pieces of work to
    mark against an objective and success criteria, which not knowing the children would
    be a little more realistic. Thank you
    for responding and well done on getting the job!

7. At one interview I had a marking task. They put me in a room on my own for an hour gave me four pieces of childrens writing and asked me to level them. Not sub-levels, just standard levels. This was extremely daunting as an nqt with little experience assessing writing, however i found it to be much easier than i though and comparing the pieces really helped. I was invited back for interview based on that and the lesson so musn't have done too bad. Just took me a few minutes to calm down and get on with it.