1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage-induction period tick box on application forms

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by debhogan, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Dear Sage, I am currently applying for September start jobs at other schools. Some application forms ask the question "have you successfully completed your induction" for which for me the answer is going to be no as I still have one term to go. I am doing well and am on track to pass my NQT year. I'm just conscious that it doesn't look good on a form to say that i haven't passed an induction period. Will potential employers understand this or should I be ticking the having passed induction box with.the caveat that I have one term to go?
    Many thanks

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

All NQTs have to tick that they haven't completed an Induction period.
    Anecdotal evidence is that mainstream posts are more likely to be allocated to NQTs as they are cheaper.
    It will be in your favour that you have completed some of your Induction as a school would only have to fund your 10% timetable reduction for part of your first year with them.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Assuming that your current role continues and you will complete this summer then in your support statement you should emphasise that you will be completing induction and that from that time you will not need an induction.You are therefore applying as a mainscale teacher.

4. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Indeed, our Celtic Bard is correct as ever. And while Jubilee has a point in that I have heard that some areas like NQTs on grounds of cost, other areas, hint hint, are actually awash to the gunwales with NQTs and quite like applicants who will not stretch our capacity for NQT mentoring further...

5. an't add much to the comments above, but it should not be an issue, just leave the box blank and add a short sentence to your supporting statement/letter that you are on track to pass.
    The Sage

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

But an NQT Induction post is on Mainscale too.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I was avoiding using the word "experienced " teacher