1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage: Induction on supply

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Injins, May 1, 2012.

1. Please, please, please can you or someone else advise me?

I started on long term supply after the October half term last year. I am on supply through an agency and at the time of accepting the assignment, the school said that they would take me through 2 terms of my induction. My school signed me off on my first term of induction and sent off the paper work but the LA have come back this week saying they will not sign me off as apparently they hadn't approved having me as an NQT in the first place. I'll add at this point that I raised the issue of being registered with the LA about 4 months ago and was told, "don't worry its all in hand". I'm about 3 weeks short of completing my next 12 week slot and its only this week that school have started to mention the possibility of none of my time counting. It would seem that I have wasted this time as none of it can be signed off. The school's head has said that she will write a strongly worded letter to the LA saying how unfair she feels it is that the LA won't sign me off but I actually think its the school's fault for not clearing my status with them in the first place.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and what was the outcome? I feel totally 'sold up the river' with this. I have undertaken after school clubs, supported the school at school social events and not to mention the obligatory working ridiculous hours and having no life since starting, all for being in exactly the same place as 6 months ago.

2. Please, please, please can you or someone else advise me?

I started on long term supply after the October half term last year. I am on supply through an agency and at the time of accepting the assignment, the school said that they would take me through 2 terms of my induction. My school signed me off on my first term of induction and sent off the paper work but the LA have come back this week saying they will not sign me off as apparently they hadn't approved having me as an NQT in the first place. I'll add at this point that I raised the issue of being registered with the LA about 4 months ago and was told, "don't worry its all in hand". I'm about 3 weeks short of completing my next 12 week slot and its only this week that school have started to mention the possibility of none of my time counting. It would seem that I have wasted this time as none of it can be signed off. The school's head has said that she will write a strongly worded letter to the LA saying how unfair she feels it is that the LA won't sign me off but I actually think its the school's fault for not clearing my status with them in the first place.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and what was the outcome? I feel totally 'sold up the river' with this. I have undertaken after school clubs, supported the school at school social events and not to mention the obligatory working ridiculous hours and having no life since starting, all for being in exactly the same place as 6 months ago.

3. Hi,
    I have been in a similar situation with supply and induction. My understanding of it is that the school agrees for you to undertake induction with them but they must register you as doing this with the LA. It sounds like the school didn't register you with the LA and now the forms have been sent off and they have no knowledge of you. I think technically this would mean that you are asking for the induction time to be backdated as you weren't registered which isn't allowed.
    I would ring up the LA induction coordinator and ask what the situation is. It sounds like the school might be at fault here... Failing that I would get the head to do their letter to the LA and include any proof of the school trying to register with the LA (emails/letters that were sent). That might solve the problem. Fingers crossed for you.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's the school's responsibility to have you registered as an NQT on Induction with the LA by the time that you start work or very soon afterwards (certainly within a week or so).
    The LA have no discretion to backdate Induction.
    Speak to your Union.
    It's outrageous that this has dragged on for so long. Has the school never had an NQT before? Induction has been in existence since 7th May 1999!

5. It is entirely possible that you will not have these two termscounted towards induction. The fault lies with the headteacher who is responsible for regiostering you as a NQT with the LA. By law, time on induction cannot be backdated, so if the LA genuinely have no record of your registration,m no matter hopw strongly worded the head's leter is, by law they cannot backdate your induction.
    Don't feel that your time has been a waste and you are not 'in the same place' you have gained valuable experience and while you may still have the full induction to complete, you have gained a lot from your work anbd don't forget the children you taught who will have gained so much from you.
    sadly, some heads do not realise their full responsibilities and make assumptions about what can and cannot happoen without reading the statutory guidance, which is, in effect encumbent upon them to follow.
    Ultimately the Head has broken the law (if the school is an LA school) by not resistering you, but of course the only one to suffer here is you and I suspect that the Head will get off scott free. If the school is an academy thn sadly they are under no legal obligation to register you, but it is pretty shoddy treatment.
    The Sage