1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage: I'm an Australian. Is this the right place for me?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by emmanuelmonteiro, Apr 15, 2012.

  1. Hello,

    i currently live in sydney, australia, and have recently (2011) completed my teaching degree. I'm currently working full time but want to take off overseas ASAP and try my hand at teaching abroad. so i began my research. luckily, i chanced upon this site, and its really great, but i'm wondering, is it for UK only? or can i apply for the jobs advertised here just like anybody else?

    thanks for your time!
  2. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    You need to check with the Teaching & Development Agency (tda) if your qualifications etc are ok (like we have to with NSWIT etc when we come over to Aus) I think if they're approved, and you have the right visa, then it should be okay.
    Do be warned though that teaching jobs are in high demand in the UK so you may struggle to get a post with not knowing the UK curriculum (I've just found the same in the opposite move to down under!)
    Best of Luck x
  3. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

  4. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    I teach in an international school in Doha and I have had some excellent antipodean colleagues. If you are a bit worried about your teaching qualifications being accepted in the UK, then you might consider teaching elsewhere: Africa, the Middle East, Asia or maybe South America,
  5. Many overseas qualified teachers will take up a teaching post in England simply by applying direct to schools advertising for a teacher. Details of how you can gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for unrestricted work in England can be found here. Teaching and teachers are now regul;ated by a new section of the department for Education (DfE) called the Teaching Agency (formerly known as the TDA). You can work for up to 4 years but, by the end of this period you must have gained QTS if you wish to carery on working and being paid as a qualified teacher in England. Please be aware that Wales and Scotland, while similar have slightly different regulations.
    More information can be found here:
    The Sage
  6. historygrump

    historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

    From September 2012 teachers from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US, will have the same status as teachers from the EEA (European Union), if the consultation paper is confirmed into writing and the last I heard there is a good chance of this. The dept of education may have published the results of the consultation already, but they will publish the full regulations when they are due to present them to parliament for approval.
    I believe that they have approved the regulation that allows Pgce FE teachers with QTLS equal status to teachers with QTS and have said they can work in schools as full teachers. If approved the new regulation affecting teachers from the above status will have full QTS status,granted by the new teacher agency (formerly the GTC), have no requirement to do an induction, if there qualifications are approved by the new teacher agency from what I can gather from the paper and discussions on the issue. But until the regulations are approved by parliament, things may change, I know that the general opinion of the unemployed teachers from what I have read, is that this will be bad for the thousands of unemployed British teachers who are strugging to find posts themselves and they oppose it.


Share This Page