1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear sage how common/easy is it for NQT's to apply for the NPQH

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by leylatjay, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Hi, I am thinking about working abroad after I gain at least 1 years experience as a teacher here in the uk. I was just wondering about completing the NPQH within 2 years. Is this a realistic goal?

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

From the website:
    "You should be highly motivated to be a headteacher, <u>no more than 12&ndash;18
    months from applying for headship posts
    </u>and ready to take up a headship
    as soon as you graduate."
    So, in a word, no it is not realistic. Not even slightly.

3. It is unrealistic to think about NPQH in the first years of teaching. The only exception I could see would be someone who has worked as a high level manager in industry leading a company or a large workforce who would have the necessary leadership skills, but who needs to gain experience on the chalkface; even then I would say that 5 years teaching would be more realistic. I know that some would disagree and that others say that QTS is not even necessary for headship, but in my book schools are too complexto be run by people with limited or no experience on the front line.
    The Sage

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Apart from saying no - how on earth do you think nearly a year as a still-learning-your-craft teacher would put you in a position to meet the standards required for a nearly-ready-to-be-a-headteacher - what has wanting to teach abroad got to do with it?

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Someone please tell me this is a wind up?

6. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Can't resist posting link to another thread started by OP:

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/564114/7362479.aspx#7362479

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Oh that's priceless. Not got the patience for secondary so think I'll go for primary. Love it!